News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Amazon gets physical with Kindle Kiosks
King of e-commerce, Amazon, gets physical with vending machines that dispense e-readers, tablets and associated accessories.
There wasn't much fanfare surrounding the installation of so-called "Kindle Kiosks". Amazon chose a soft-launch of the vending machines. However, GeekWire writers came across just such a vending machine at the McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas which had been installed in time for the hugely-popular International Consumer Electronics Show.
While the kiosks will be placed in various locations, perhaps the most obvious is at travel hubs where consumers embarking on a long journey might feel in the impulse to kit themselves out with a reading device. The kiosks are made by Zoom Systems, which makes similar automated retail machines for Best Buy and other prominent brands.
However, one disadvantage of the vending machines over, say, pop-up malls that Amazon has previously trialed, is that purchases can't be tested in-the-hand before deciding on what to buy.
Furthermore, for the GeekWire writers who initially covered their discovery of a Kindle Kiosk the experience wasn't entirely smooth with an unresponsive interface that was sluggish at times. Another downside was that that purchase could not be linked to an existing Amazon account.
Check out GeekWire's article for images of the Kindle Kiosks. Have you spotted one on your travels?
Image via Shutterstock
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...