News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2014: Tipping point for mobile
New data out from BIA/Kelsey indicates this year may be the tipping point for mobile advertising. Thanks to location targeting options like geo-fencing, their experts believe 2014 will be the year when mobile advertising comes into its own.
Mobile attribution methods including location data analysis, paneling data and offline purchase data will help to pull more ad dollars into the mobile space in 2014 according to the new BIA/Kelsey report, "Attribution: The Next Phase in the Age of Mobile Advertising".
"Mobile holds a 12 percent share of consumer's current media consumption, but has a disproportionately low - three percent - share of U.S. ad dollars," said the report's author Michael Boland, vice president of content, BIA/Kelsey. "However, we see a few factors that will counterbalance this in the coming year, including location-targeted ads and the ability to measure effectiveness through attribution technologies."
About $1.4 billion in ad revenues (37%) were attributed to location-based targeting campaigns in 2012, finds the data, that number is expected to put to 52% ($10.8 billion) by 2017. Other interesting findings include:
• Location targeted revenues will account for $4.35 billion in 2014
• $5.80 billion will be non-location-based (2014)
• In 2015 more than $6.5 billion will be pushed to location-based mobile advertising
• 2016 will see just over $8 billion spent on location based mobile ads
Meanwhile, the total mobile ad spend is expected to grow from $10.15 billion in 2014 to more than $20.6 billion in 2017.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...