News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Verdict predicts billions will be spent in final weekend before Christmas
With Christmas Eve falling on a Tuesday this year, retailers should prepare themselves for an extremely busy weekend on 20-22 December, according to new figures released by retail analysts Verdict.
Not everyone is super-organized at Christmas and this year will see many people doing some last minute shopping during the weekend before the festive week starting Tuesday 24 December.
Verdict Retail expects that weekend to see a 20% rise in spending in the UK, compared to last year, with an estimated £12 billion (US$19.6 billion) being shelled out by last minute shoppers.
Stocking up the fridge and drinks cabinet will likely account for the majority of spending that weekend - £6 billion (US$9.7 billion) worth according to Verdict - and £2 billion (US$3.3 billion) spent on non-food items online.
"To put £12 billion (US$19.6 billion) in context, shoppers spent £17 billion (US$27.7 billion) in October: it's a huge amount," said Andrew Stevens, Verdict's senior retail analyst. "People have been putting things off to see if they can get a bigger deal, but also you have the fact that the 23rd falls on a Monday. People know they can wait to the end of this week and still have three days to shop."
As with other busy shopping periods, retailers need to ensure their websites are performing during this time of heavy use. A slow-loading website will turn away online shoppers and could even result in negative brand perception.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....