News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
As 2013 draws to a close the time may be right to go through online security to ensure businesses are safe. Just like Santa, when it comes to business security there is a list that should be checked twice.
Conventus Corporation has released a list of mistakes that many small businesses make that may leave them susceptible to attack or other vulnerabilities - things like not having enough expertise on the tech end of things or believing because a business is small that hackers or fraudulent types will ignore it. Unfortunately that isn't true. How can SMBs increase their security?
First, not matter the size, make sure online security protocols are top of the line - don't use freeware. Instead, invest in quality security software that will lessen the ability of hackers to get in to private business areas. Along that same line, make sure employees are aware of security protocols and enforce those policies.
Second, educate all staff on the importance of security, and for those who are in charge of tech make sure they are properly vetted.
"In small businesses, technical expertise is generally not deep - rather, the folks in charge of protecting data are often performing other job functions in the company. If your staff lacks expertise in a given area, it is important to invest in regular health check with subject matter experts to ensure each solution you have in place continues to remain optimally configured, and operating at peak performance," writes the company.
Finally, check and recheck policies, content and back-end areas to make sure there are no holes in the programming. Conventus notes an example in which a company administrator manually input a policy that included a typo. That typo left an area that was susceptible to attack for fraudsters.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...