News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
As 2013 draws to a close the time may be right to go through online security to ensure businesses are safe. Just like Santa, when it comes to business security there is a list that should be checked twice.
Conventus Corporation has released a list of mistakes that many small businesses make that may leave them susceptible to attack or other vulnerabilities - things like not having enough expertise on the tech end of things or believing because a business is small that hackers or fraudulent types will ignore it. Unfortunately that isn't true. How can SMBs increase their security?
First, not matter the size, make sure online security protocols are top of the line - don't use freeware. Instead, invest in quality security software that will lessen the ability of hackers to get in to private business areas. Along that same line, make sure employees are aware of security protocols and enforce those policies.
Second, educate all staff on the importance of security, and for those who are in charge of tech make sure they are properly vetted.
"In small businesses, technical expertise is generally not deep - rather, the folks in charge of protecting data are often performing other job functions in the company. If your staff lacks expertise in a given area, it is important to invest in regular health check with subject matter experts to ensure each solution you have in place continues to remain optimally configured, and operating at peak performance," writes the company.
Finally, check and recheck policies, content and back-end areas to make sure there are no holes in the programming. Conventus notes an example in which a company administrator manually input a policy that included a typo. That typo left an area that was susceptible to attack for fraudsters.
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....