News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
As 2013 draws to a close the time may be right to go through online security to ensure businesses are safe. Just like Santa, when it comes to business security there is a list that should be checked twice.
Conventus Corporation has released a list of mistakes that many small businesses make that may leave them susceptible to attack or other vulnerabilities - things like not having enough expertise on the tech end of things or believing because a business is small that hackers or fraudulent types will ignore it. Unfortunately that isn't true. How can SMBs increase their security?
First, not matter the size, make sure online security protocols are top of the line - don't use freeware. Instead, invest in quality security software that will lessen the ability of hackers to get in to private business areas. Along that same line, make sure employees are aware of security protocols and enforce those policies.
Second, educate all staff on the importance of security, and for those who are in charge of tech make sure they are properly vetted.
"In small businesses, technical expertise is generally not deep - rather, the folks in charge of protecting data are often performing other job functions in the company. If your staff lacks expertise in a given area, it is important to invest in regular health check with subject matter experts to ensure each solution you have in place continues to remain optimally configured, and operating at peak performance," writes the company.
Finally, check and recheck policies, content and back-end areas to make sure there are no holes in the programming. Conventus notes an example in which a company administrator manually input a policy that included a typo. That typo left an area that was susceptible to attack for fraudsters.
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...