News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
As 2013 draws to a close the time may be right to go through online security to ensure businesses are safe. Just like Santa, when it comes to business security there is a list that should be checked twice.
Conventus Corporation has released a list of mistakes that many small businesses make that may leave them susceptible to attack or other vulnerabilities - things like not having enough expertise on the tech end of things or believing because a business is small that hackers or fraudulent types will ignore it. Unfortunately that isn't true. How can SMBs increase their security?
First, not matter the size, make sure online security protocols are top of the line - don't use freeware. Instead, invest in quality security software that will lessen the ability of hackers to get in to private business areas. Along that same line, make sure employees are aware of security protocols and enforce those policies.
Second, educate all staff on the importance of security, and for those who are in charge of tech make sure they are properly vetted.
"In small businesses, technical expertise is generally not deep - rather, the folks in charge of protecting data are often performing other job functions in the company. If your staff lacks expertise in a given area, it is important to invest in regular health check with subject matter experts to ensure each solution you have in place continues to remain optimally configured, and operating at peak performance," writes the company.
Finally, check and recheck policies, content and back-end areas to make sure there are no holes in the programming. Conventus notes an example in which a company administrator manually input a policy that included a typo. That typo left an area that was susceptible to attack for fraudsters.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...