News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Christmas Day saw people hit mobile browsers
After the gluttony of present opening was finished on December 25, most people turned to their mobile devices for entertainment - or to fill up their new devices with books, movies and other content. That according to new data out from Mixpanel which indicates the bulk of people accessed the Web through mobile devices with 90% engaged with mobile apps.
Mixpanel analyzed just over 1 billion actions, 66% more than were analyzed in 2012 to come to their conclusions. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• Online traffic dipped at 10:30 AM and then spiked at Noon and 2 PM
• 58% of online traffic originated from game apps
• 11% from social networks
"Our hypothesis here is that kids came down from unwrapping and sugar highs while adults documented the morning's festivities on social networks -- or jumped in on playing a game with their kids. Given the huge disparity between the two, we think we can safely say that Christmas is a kids holiday," writes the company. The hottest gaming cities included Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago.
As for mobile specifics, Mixpanel reports that a full 25% of traffic originated on tablets; 79% of tablet traffic was from an iOS device, making 2013 an Apple Christmas. When comparing Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 there was a 14% increase in game traffic on iPads (25% vs 39%).
"Surprisingly, Mountain View, CA, which is home to Google's HQ, is a solidly iOS city: 81% of activity in Mountain View over the last month came from iOS devices, while only 19% was Android-generated. By contrast, activity in Apple's own home base, Cupertino, CA is solidly loyal to their own devices. A full 97% of activity came from iOS devices," writes Mixpanel.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....