News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Christmas Day saw people hit mobile browsers
After the gluttony of present opening was finished on December 25, most people turned to their mobile devices for entertainment - or to fill up their new devices with books, movies and other content. That according to new data out from Mixpanel which indicates the bulk of people accessed the Web through mobile devices with 90% engaged with mobile apps.
Mixpanel analyzed just over 1 billion actions, 66% more than were analyzed in 2012 to come to their conclusions. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• Online traffic dipped at 10:30 AM and then spiked at Noon and 2 PM
• 58% of online traffic originated from game apps
• 11% from social networks
"Our hypothesis here is that kids came down from unwrapping and sugar highs while adults documented the morning's festivities on social networks -- or jumped in on playing a game with their kids. Given the huge disparity between the two, we think we can safely say that Christmas is a kids holiday," writes the company. The hottest gaming cities included Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago.
As for mobile specifics, Mixpanel reports that a full 25% of traffic originated on tablets; 79% of tablet traffic was from an iOS device, making 2013 an Apple Christmas. When comparing Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 there was a 14% increase in game traffic on iPads (25% vs 39%).
"Surprisingly, Mountain View, CA, which is home to Google's HQ, is a solidly iOS city: 81% of activity in Mountain View over the last month came from iOS devices, while only 19% was Android-generated. By contrast, activity in Apple's own home base, Cupertino, CA is solidly loyal to their own devices. A full 97% of activity came from iOS devices," writes Mixpanel.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...