News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Christmas Day saw people hit mobile browsers
After the gluttony of present opening was finished on December 25, most people turned to their mobile devices for entertainment - or to fill up their new devices with books, movies and other content. That according to new data out from Mixpanel which indicates the bulk of people accessed the Web through mobile devices with 90% engaged with mobile apps.
Mixpanel analyzed just over 1 billion actions, 66% more than were analyzed in 2012 to come to their conclusions. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• Online traffic dipped at 10:30 AM and then spiked at Noon and 2 PM
• 58% of online traffic originated from game apps
• 11% from social networks
"Our hypothesis here is that kids came down from unwrapping and sugar highs while adults documented the morning's festivities on social networks -- or jumped in on playing a game with their kids. Given the huge disparity between the two, we think we can safely say that Christmas is a kids holiday," writes the company. The hottest gaming cities included Los Angeles, Houston and Chicago.
As for mobile specifics, Mixpanel reports that a full 25% of traffic originated on tablets; 79% of tablet traffic was from an iOS device, making 2013 an Apple Christmas. When comparing Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 there was a 14% increase in game traffic on iPads (25% vs 39%).
"Surprisingly, Mountain View, CA, which is home to Google's HQ, is a solidly iOS city: 81% of activity in Mountain View over the last month came from iOS devices, while only 19% was Android-generated. By contrast, activity in Apple's own home base, Cupertino, CA is solidly loyal to their own devices. A full 97% of activity came from iOS devices," writes Mixpanel.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...