News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OFCOM: Brits are biggest online spenders
For the third consecutive year, the average person in the UK spent more online than those in any other major market, according to figures just released by OFCOM.
In their 2013 International Communications Market Report, OFCOM reveal that the average person in the UK spent £1,175 (US$1,918) online in 2012, a 16% rise on the previous year. That's £308 (US$503) more than its nearest rival, Australia (£867/US$1,414), and almost double that of other countries.
Furthermore, and perhaps one of the reasons for the high online spend per head, Brits have a higher level of trust that online retailers will send them the correct item and feel more secure making online payments than others around the globe.
"The UK is by quite a long way the place where people spend most online," says James Thickett, Ofcom's director of research and market development. "There are a number of reasons for this. We have a long history of catalogue shopping in the UK. What this has done is that we trust people to deliver parcels, and we're used to getting parcels delivered to our homes and we're used to using credit cards. It's part of our DNA."
The research also found the UK to be cheaper than other European countries and the U.S. for mobile phone, landline telephone and broadband deals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....