News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OFCOM: Brits are biggest online spenders
For the third consecutive year, the average person in the UK spent more online than those in any other major market, according to figures just released by OFCOM.
In their 2013 International Communications Market Report, OFCOM reveal that the average person in the UK spent £1,175 (US$1,918) online in 2012, a 16% rise on the previous year. That's £308 (US$503) more than its nearest rival, Australia (£867/US$1,414), and almost double that of other countries.
Furthermore, and perhaps one of the reasons for the high online spend per head, Brits have a higher level of trust that online retailers will send them the correct item and feel more secure making online payments than others around the globe.
"The UK is by quite a long way the place where people spend most online," says James Thickett, Ofcom's director of research and market development. "There are a number of reasons for this. We have a long history of catalogue shopping in the UK. What this has done is that we trust people to deliver parcels, and we're used to getting parcels delivered to our homes and we're used to using credit cards. It's part of our DNA."
The research also found the UK to be cheaper than other European countries and the U.S. for mobile phone, landline telephone and broadband deals.
Image via Shutterstock
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...