News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
OFCOM: Brits are biggest online spenders
For the third consecutive year, the average person in the UK spent more online than those in any other major market, according to figures just released by OFCOM.
In their 2013 International Communications Market Report, OFCOM reveal that the average person in the UK spent £1,175 (US$1,918) online in 2012, a 16% rise on the previous year. That's £308 (US$503) more than its nearest rival, Australia (£867/US$1,414), and almost double that of other countries.
Furthermore, and perhaps one of the reasons for the high online spend per head, Brits have a higher level of trust that online retailers will send them the correct item and feel more secure making online payments than others around the globe.
"The UK is by quite a long way the place where people spend most online," says James Thickett, Ofcom's director of research and market development. "There are a number of reasons for this. We have a long history of catalogue shopping in the UK. What this has done is that we trust people to deliver parcels, and we're used to getting parcels delivered to our homes and we're used to using credit cards. It's part of our DNA."
The research also found the UK to be cheaper than other European countries and the U.S. for mobile phone, landline telephone and broadband deals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
- 90% of marketers not trained in marketing performance, ROI
- Mobile plays significant role in the shopping habits of Boomers and Seniors
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...