News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millions of Americans leave gift shopping to last minute
Many have yet to complete their holiday shopping and, according to the National Retail Federation, millions have not even started resulting in the largest percentage of last-minute shoppers in the Federation's holiday survey history.
In a survey of more than 6,000 consumers conducted at the start of December (ending 9 December), 32 million Americans said they had not yet begun their holiday shopping.
Among those last-minute shoppers, 29% intend to finish the task by 18 December, 14% by the end of this week (20 December) and 12% on Saturday 21 December. Another 10% are truly sailing close to the wind and intend to finish shopping on Christmas Eve.
Of those yet to purchase gifts, half intend to complete their shopping via mobile or online. Just over 46% of tablet owners will research products and compare prices to aid in their last minute purchase decisions, as will 36.3% of smartphone owners. Almost two in five (19.4%) smartphone owners and 33.1% of tablet owners will actually purchase items with their device in the last few days before Christmas.
"Last-minute shoppers don't have quite the breathing room they did last year when there were four full weekends, but we shouldn't underestimate procrastinators," says Prosper's Consumer Insights Director Pam Goodfellow. "Last-minute shoppers are savvy bargain hunters who know just how to get everything they need to finish their gift lists."
Image via Shutterstock
- Just 6% of consumers always leave a review
- Binge-watching shedding its negative connotations
- Amazon flexing its delivery options in the UK
- Shoppers using mobile for BTS shopping
- Study: Most consumers satisfied with e-gift card buys
- Mobile's role in back to school shopping on the rise
- Report reveals tablet preferences and ownership differences between UK, US, and Oz
- Top 3 tips to improve SMS strategy
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...