News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millions of Americans leave gift shopping to last minute
Many have yet to complete their holiday shopping and, according to the National Retail Federation, millions have not even started resulting in the largest percentage of last-minute shoppers in the Federation's holiday survey history.
In a survey of more than 6,000 consumers conducted at the start of December (ending 9 December), 32 million Americans said they had not yet begun their holiday shopping.
Among those last-minute shoppers, 29% intend to finish the task by 18 December, 14% by the end of this week (20 December) and 12% on Saturday 21 December. Another 10% are truly sailing close to the wind and intend to finish shopping on Christmas Eve.
Of those yet to purchase gifts, half intend to complete their shopping via mobile or online. Just over 46% of tablet owners will research products and compare prices to aid in their last minute purchase decisions, as will 36.3% of smartphone owners. Almost two in five (19.4%) smartphone owners and 33.1% of tablet owners will actually purchase items with their device in the last few days before Christmas.
"Last-minute shoppers don't have quite the breathing room they did last year when there were four full weekends, but we shouldn't underestimate procrastinators," says Prosper's Consumer Insights Director Pam Goodfellow. "Last-minute shoppers are savvy bargain hunters who know just how to get everything they need to finish their gift lists."
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...