News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millions of Americans leave gift shopping to last minute
Many have yet to complete their holiday shopping and, according to the National Retail Federation, millions have not even started resulting in the largest percentage of last-minute shoppers in the Federation's holiday survey history.
In a survey of more than 6,000 consumers conducted at the start of December (ending 9 December), 32 million Americans said they had not yet begun their holiday shopping.
Among those last-minute shoppers, 29% intend to finish the task by 18 December, 14% by the end of this week (20 December) and 12% on Saturday 21 December. Another 10% are truly sailing close to the wind and intend to finish shopping on Christmas Eve.
Of those yet to purchase gifts, half intend to complete their shopping via mobile or online. Just over 46% of tablet owners will research products and compare prices to aid in their last minute purchase decisions, as will 36.3% of smartphone owners. Almost two in five (19.4%) smartphone owners and 33.1% of tablet owners will actually purchase items with their device in the last few days before Christmas.
"Last-minute shoppers don't have quite the breathing room they did last year when there were four full weekends, but we shouldn't underestimate procrastinators," says Prosper's Consumer Insights Director Pam Goodfellow. "Last-minute shoppers are savvy bargain hunters who know just how to get everything they need to finish their gift lists."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...