News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
Headlines should be eye-catching and well-crafted to lure in readers. While there are many aspects to headline writing that contribute to its success, content discovery platform Outbrain has used click-through data to ascertain specifically whether the length of a headline can affect content marketing success.
They can be short. They can be so long that you need to pause for breath while reading them. But what is the optimal length of a headline that will motivate readers to click through?
By analyzing all the paid links added to their network on July 10th, 2013, Outbrain found the number of words in a headline ranged from one to 23, but averaged around seven. Further analysis of eight months of click-through data on over 100,000 English headlines for paid links helped them better understand the headline lengths that garnered the most engagement.
Their research found that headlines with 60-100 characters performed the best with drop offs in click-through rates below 60 characters and above 100.
"When measuring headline length by the number of words, rather than characters, we found the same pattern of results," writes Outbrain's Alex Bennett on the company blog. "The highest click-through rates were again achieved at moderate headline lengths, with 16-18 word headlines performing better than headlines of any other word length."
When comparing headlines in English with those in French, Spanish and Italian, Outbrain found them to be generally on a par, with the exception of Spanish headlines which continued to perform better and better as their length increased with lengths of 101-120 characters generating the most engagement.
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....