News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Thanksgiving/Black Friday paid search data suggests mobile revolution
Thanksgiving and Black Friday data is starting to filter through and key findings from Kenshoo's analysis of retail paid search reveals big increases in click volume and retailer spend.
According to Aaron Goldman, Kenshoo CMO, shopping behavior has not simply migrated to mobile, "it's a full on revolution".
His comments come as part of an announcement about paid search spending during the recent holiday of Thanksgiving and the store-frenzy day that is Black Friday.
According to Kenshoo's recently released paid search data, mobile devices accounted for a much more significant share of spend, clicks and revenue this year than last. In November, 2012, through to Cyber Monday, 2012, marketers spent 79.5% of their paid search budgets on PCs such as laptops, desktops and notebooks. Just 11.8% was allocated to mobile phones and 8.7% to tablets.
This year, Kenshoo found the rate of change to be "astounding". While the vast majority of paid search ad spend was allocated to PCs, it fell by 24.1% to 60.3% while mobile phone and tablet budget spend grew significantly. This year, 21.2% of total paid search spend went on mobile phones and 18.5% on tablets, a year-on-year rise of 79.1% and 113.6% respectively.
"With phones and tablets accounting for nearly 40% of all paid search ad spend on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, it's clear marketers have multi-device strategies in place to lure consumers wherever and whenever they're shopping," said Goldman.
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...