News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does your public Wi-Fi network comply with the law?
Cloud-based social Wi-Fi software firm, Purple WiFi, reveals that around two-thirds of venues that provide public Wi-Fi do not comply with laws surrounding the tracking of users.
Out of 3,349 venues worldwide, 2,048 were found to be running completely open Wi-Fi networks and handing out passwords, according to the survey by UK-based Purple WiFi.
The law in the UK requires that venues providing free Wi-Fi to customers are able to track back activity to a user yet six out of ten do not, leaving networks open to use and abuse by criminals and terrorists.
The vast majority (82%) of survey participants believed their public Wi-Fi offering complied with the law, yet only around 40% actually did.
''Having an open network, giving out a password or any other method of access that doesn't achieve this fundamental tracking function could land the business in considerable trouble if illegal activity takes place on the public Wi-Fi it provides", says Gavin Wheeldon, chief executive of Purple WiFi.
Furthermore, more than half (58%) of venues did not support content filtering, or were not aware if their network did. A lack of content filtering means illegal or explicit websites could be access through the public Wi-Fi network.
Image via Shutterstock
- AdRoundup: Video, mobile and social offerings increase connectivity
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....