News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Does your public Wi-Fi network comply with the law?
Cloud-based social Wi-Fi software firm, Purple WiFi, reveals that around two-thirds of venues that provide public Wi-Fi do not comply with laws surrounding the tracking of users.
Out of 3,349 venues worldwide, 2,048 were found to be running completely open Wi-Fi networks and handing out passwords, according to the survey by UK-based Purple WiFi.
The law in the UK requires that venues providing free Wi-Fi to customers are able to track back activity to a user yet six out of ten do not, leaving networks open to use and abuse by criminals and terrorists.
The vast majority (82%) of survey participants believed their public Wi-Fi offering complied with the law, yet only around 40% actually did.
''Having an open network, giving out a password or any other method of access that doesn't achieve this fundamental tracking function could land the business in considerable trouble if illegal activity takes place on the public Wi-Fi it provides", says Gavin Wheeldon, chief executive of Purple WiFi.
Furthermore, more than half (58%) of venues did not support content filtering, or were not aware if their network did. A lack of content filtering means illegal or explicit websites could be access through the public Wi-Fi network.
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...