News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
The hottest day in online shopping history - at least so far - is Cyber Monday of 2013. According to data out from comScore online shoppers spent to the tune of nearly $2 billion on December 2, a 34% increase over the full Thanksgiving weekend spend.
The tally stands at $1.735 billion (desktop online spending) for Cyber Monday, and 18% YoY increase; Black Friday stands at $1.198 billion. To date nearly $24 billion has been spent online this holiday season.
"Any notion that Cyber Monday is declining in importance appears to be completely unfounded as its strong year-over-year growth rate of 18 percent resulted in yet another record for online spending in a single day," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "While it's true that many retailers are bleeding their Cyber Monday promotions into the weekend before and the days afterward, Cyber Monday itself continues to be the most important day of the online holiday shopping season. That said, we did also see evidence of early promotions pulling some dollars forward into the weekend, so it is possible that Cyber Monday could have even been stronger were it not for the emergence of this trend."
Meanwhile, Search Engine Land and SurveyMonkey has dived deep into holiday trends to find out how shoppers are engaging across the space. One of the more interesting findings is that more than half of people who shop for Christmas are now doing so between Cyber Monday and the week before Christmas Day, which has some experts wondering if Black Friday is on the way out. Other interesting findings include:
• 70% of shoppers are using mobiles in-store and 60% find mobile search 'difficult'
• 33% conduct mobile searches just as they conduct desktop searches
• 55% have shopping apps on phones only about 10% use them
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...