News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Convenience trumps security for U.K. mobile shoppers
Consumers are increasingly willing to make bigger purchases via their mobile device, but few have installed security software to guard against the potential threats of open networks or keep their device and information safe..
The survey of 1,000 UK consumers by risk-based security and compliance management solutions firm Tripwire has highlighted the insecure commerce behavior of mobile users.
A quarter of respondents said they were now willing to spend in excess of £100 (US$164) via mobile, and 3% would spend over £1,000 (US$1,640) yet 65% do not have any mobile security installed on their device. In fact, for many consumers, convenience trumps security, more so among men (40%) than women (36%).
"This is very worrying," says Gavin Millard, EMEA technical director at Tripwire, "as consumers will often connect to retailer sites through public access Wi-Fi networks. Open networks are inherently insecure and hackers will often eavesdrop on user sessions in a bid to steal payment card details."
The survey was also carried out among U.S. mobile shoppers, who were found to be more security-conscious than Brits with 59% having no security software on their phone compared to the U.K.'s 65%.
As for shopping on a computer, 91% of U.S. and 83% of U.K. respondents believe it is more secure than on a mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...