News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Convenience trumps security for U.K. mobile shoppers
Consumers are increasingly willing to make bigger purchases via their mobile device, but few have installed security software to guard against the potential threats of open networks or keep their device and information safe..
The survey of 1,000 UK consumers by risk-based security and compliance management solutions firm Tripwire has highlighted the insecure commerce behavior of mobile users.
A quarter of respondents said they were now willing to spend in excess of £100 (US$164) via mobile, and 3% would spend over £1,000 (US$1,640) yet 65% do not have any mobile security installed on their device. In fact, for many consumers, convenience trumps security, more so among men (40%) than women (36%).
"This is very worrying," says Gavin Millard, EMEA technical director at Tripwire, "as consumers will often connect to retailer sites through public access Wi-Fi networks. Open networks are inherently insecure and hackers will often eavesdrop on user sessions in a bid to steal payment card details."
The survey was also carried out among U.S. mobile shoppers, who were found to be more security-conscious than Brits with 59% having no security software on their phone compared to the U.K.'s 65%.
As for shopping on a computer, 91% of U.S. and 83% of U.K. respondents believe it is more secure than on a mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...