News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
Despite the emergence of new digital channels such as social, recent research reveals that consumers still find the most value in email when making purchase decisions. Consumers want to receive marketing messages that are relevant, accurate and timely and, according to research from [x+1].
When consumers were asked to select which marketing channels were the most valuable for making purchasing decisions, email was selected by 25% of respondents and was seen as the most valuable. At the other end of the spectrum was SMS, which only 2% found even moderately valuable.
• Email 25%
• Web ads (display) 10%
• Personalized web experience 16%
• Facebook/Twitter 9%
• Mobile apps 5%
• Video 6%
• Mobile ads 6%
• SMS 2%
The research also compared what marketers and consumers rate as the most valued channels and both sides agreed that email and a personalized web experience provide the most value. Differences were evident in the third most-valued channel for which consumers chose web ads (display) and marketers chose social (Facebook/Twitter).
However, consumers feel that email is more relevant (32%) and accurate (30%) than all other channels. Furthermore, 15% say that web ads (display) are relevant and 11% fell they are accurate. In regards to Facebook/Twitter, only 12% of consumers feel these ads are relevant and just 11% say they are accurate.
"We've seen that consumer expectations and marketer assumptions are not in harmony," concludes [x+1]'s report, "The Marketers Playbook Research Paper" (.pdf). "Marketers should try to apply the learning from this report and align their marketing strategies with their customers' expectations by integrating all their channel efforts into a holistic, data-informed strategy."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...