News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
Despite the emergence of new digital channels such as social, recent research reveals that consumers still find the most value in email when making purchase decisions. Consumers want to receive marketing messages that are relevant, accurate and timely and, according to research from [x+1].
When consumers were asked to select which marketing channels were the most valuable for making purchasing decisions, email was selected by 25% of respondents and was seen as the most valuable. At the other end of the spectrum was SMS, which only 2% found even moderately valuable.
• Email 25%
• Web ads (display) 10%
• Personalized web experience 16%
• Facebook/Twitter 9%
• Mobile apps 5%
• Video 6%
• Mobile ads 6%
• SMS 2%
The research also compared what marketers and consumers rate as the most valued channels and both sides agreed that email and a personalized web experience provide the most value. Differences were evident in the third most-valued channel for which consumers chose web ads (display) and marketers chose social (Facebook/Twitter).
However, consumers feel that email is more relevant (32%) and accurate (30%) than all other channels. Furthermore, 15% say that web ads (display) are relevant and 11% fell they are accurate. In regards to Facebook/Twitter, only 12% of consumers feel these ads are relevant and just 11% say they are accurate.
"We've seen that consumer expectations and marketer assumptions are not in harmony," concludes [x+1]'s report, "The Marketers Playbook Research Paper" (.pdf). "Marketers should try to apply the learning from this report and align their marketing strategies with their customers' expectations by integrating all their channel efforts into a holistic, data-informed strategy."
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....