News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Holiday ecommerce tops $42 billion
In the week before Christmas, online sales continued to be strong but actually did fall short of some predictions. According to data just out from comScore ecommerce spending through December 22 hit $42.8 billion. That is a 10% increase over 2012 however there were no $1 billion spending days in the entire week.
For a holiday season that, until the week of December 16 saw 10 individual $1 billion spending days, that no days during the week of December 16 is a surprise.
"Strong momentum coming out of Thanksgiving, in addition to heavy weekend buying, suggested we would meet or exceed expectations as long as momentum continued through the final week before Christmas," said Gian Fulgoni, comScore Chairman. "Unfortunately, the most recent week fell short of those expectations, and it looks like the final season growth rate will end up a few percentage points shy of what we had anticipated. In the end, I think we'll look back at this online holiday season as one where absolute dollar sales gains in consumer spending were held back by heavy retailer price discounting that occurred in an attempt to stimulate consumer demand, while at the same time, consumers weren't willing or able to increase their spending rate to fully compensate for the six-day shorter shopping period between Thanksgiving and Christmas."
The top product categories for the 2013 holiday season were video game consoles/accessories, apparel/accessories and consumer electronics. The top spending days included Cyber Monday ($1.735 billion), Green Monday ($1.401 billion) and Black Friday ($1.199 billion); the final billion-dollar spending day fell on Wednesday December 11 when $1.161 billion was spent online.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...