News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bot traffic overtakes human traffic online in U.S.
Fantasy and science fiction describe a world where robots have taken over. That scenario may already have come to fruition in the online world where, according to new data released by Solve Media, there was more fraudulent bot-traffic than there was human traffic.
According to Solve Media's latest bot report (Q3 2013), more than half (51%) of all Internet traffic in the U.S. was fraudulent, a rise of 8% on Q2 2013 and the first time that Solve's figures have exceeded 50% and the amount of traffic generated by humans.
While that figure may sound daunting, the situation is worse in other countries across the globe. Estonia shows the highest percentage (83%) followed by Singapore (79%) and China (77%).
Proving that audiences are human is a vital criteria for marketers investing budgets in attracting real eyeballs. As CEO and co-founder of Solve Media comments, "a bot can't buy your products or read your articles".
"Today's data is a wake up call for unprotected US publishers and advertisers alike - as an industry, we can no longer deny that bot traffic is eating away at the overall quality and effectiveness of our collective saleable audience. Think of it this way - a premium could be charged by publishers who commit to ensuring human verification of audiences - that level of security and guaranteed performance is where publishers should focus first as they attempt to create and sell new advertising products to brands," said Chris Wysopal, Chief Technology Officer, Veracode and member of Solve Media's Security Council.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....