News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Auto-playing video ads arrive in Facebook newsfeeds this week
It has long been rumored that Facebook is to sell video ads. A report out today in the Wall Street Journal reveals that rumor is turning to reality this week.
The new video ads will begin appearing on newsfeeds from this week, according to the WSJ, and will feature on both web and mobile. Costing anywhere up to $2 million per day, depending on reach, the ads will automatically play when users mouse-over although most reports state there will be no sound until a user clicks on the video.
According to the WSJ, the length of the ads is still unknown. However, users will soon get their first taste of the video ads as Lions Gate Entertainment release their Facebook-specific teaser trailer for upcoming movie "Divergent" later this week.
In September this year, CNET reported that auto-playing ads in Facebook newsfeeds were being tested by a select few. Facebook user reactions have been mixed. While some are of the opinion that, as a free service, Facebook should be able to make its money somehow, others aren't happy about the disruptive ad technique and have concerns about the auto-play ads' effect on bandwidth and performance.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...