News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Auto-playing video ads arrive in Facebook newsfeeds this week
It has long been rumored that Facebook is to sell video ads. A report out today in the Wall Street Journal reveals that rumor is turning to reality this week.
The new video ads will begin appearing on newsfeeds from this week, according to the WSJ, and will feature on both web and mobile. Costing anywhere up to $2 million per day, depending on reach, the ads will automatically play when users mouse-over although most reports state there will be no sound until a user clicks on the video.
According to the WSJ, the length of the ads is still unknown. However, users will soon get their first taste of the video ads as Lions Gate Entertainment release their Facebook-specific teaser trailer for upcoming movie "Divergent" later this week.
In September this year, CNET reported that auto-playing ads in Facebook newsfeeds were being tested by a select few. Facebook user reactions have been mixed. While some are of the opinion that, as a free service, Facebook should be able to make its money somehow, others aren't happy about the disruptive ad technique and have concerns about the auto-play ads' effect on bandwidth and performance.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...