News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK Mega Monday data reveals 81% rise in sales via mobile
Before the surge of U.S. data from Black Friday and Cyber Monday hits your screen, IBM have given an insight into U.K. sales figures and mobile shopping habits resulting from this week's 'Mega Monday' ecommerce activity.
IBM's latest findings come from Monday, 25 November, 2013, when millions of e-commerce transactions were tracked from more than 200 UK retail websites. The results reveal that online sales increased by 33.5% compared to the same day last year.
The stats surrounding mobile use speak for themselves - mobile traffic accounted for a whopping 42.4% of all online traffic, up 68% on the same day last year. Furthermore, mobile users weren't just using their device to research purchases. Almost a third (31%) of online sales were completed on a mobile device, an 81.5% rise on last year.
While smartphones accounted for almost a quarter (22.3%) of all online traffic, and tablets just 20%, tablets were the device of choice for making a purchase - 19.4% of online sales were made via tablet compared with just 12.4% via a smartphone.
According to IBM, Mega Mondays are specific to the UK and are similar to the U.S.'s Cyber Monday. IBM are reporting on two Mega Mondays this year - 25 November and 2 December.
Visa Europe believes Monday, 2 December, 2013 will be the UK's busiest Mega Monday. Visa predicts that that day will see their customers alone spend £450 million (US$735 million), the equivalent of £312,500 (US$510,000) every minute, or £5,208 (US$8,525) every second.
"UK consumers' love affair with online shopping will reach its peak on Mega Monday when we predict that we will process 7.7 million Visa transactions - a 16% rise on last year," said Jeremy Nicholds, director of commercial development at Visa Europe.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...