News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey shows cost of shipping really matters to 80% of shoppers
This year, consumers are more focused on the cost of shipping items purchased online than they were three years ago, according to new research in the U.S. commissioned by Pitney Bowes.
Shipping is an important factor in the online shopping process, more so this year than in the last three years, according to Pitney Bowes' survey of more than 1,000 U.S. adults.
A whopping 80% of Americans that shop online consider shipping costs to be an important factor in their purchase decisions. Almost half (47%) say they are paying more attention to shipping in their purchase decisions than they did three years ago and 49% have abandoned a shopping cart due to a high shipping cost. The threshold for abandoning a purchase occurred when shipping costs were $20 or more.
Furthermore, the research found that, as a marketing tool, free shipping is far greater weapon to wield than speedy deliveries. More than three-quarters of respondents (77%) placed 'free' above 'speed' (19%). However, while free shipping is universally welcomed, a "measurable portion" would prefer to pay a fee to ensure delivery.
"For retailers, how they leverage and manage their shipping costs and returns process and how they use that in creating an experience for their client is going to be a big factor in their sales this holiday season," said Jim Hendrickson, vice president and general manager of shipping solutions, Pitney Bowes.
"Retailers need to be thinking: How do I manage my shipping costs out of ecommerce so I can ultimately give my client a lower cost for shipping or give it to them for free? The entire purchase experience is what matters to the buyer today."
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...