News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey shows cost of shipping really matters to 80% of shoppers
This year, consumers are more focused on the cost of shipping items purchased online than they were three years ago, according to new research in the U.S. commissioned by Pitney Bowes.
Shipping is an important factor in the online shopping process, more so this year than in the last three years, according to Pitney Bowes' survey of more than 1,000 U.S. adults.
A whopping 80% of Americans that shop online consider shipping costs to be an important factor in their purchase decisions. Almost half (47%) say they are paying more attention to shipping in their purchase decisions than they did three years ago and 49% have abandoned a shopping cart due to a high shipping cost. The threshold for abandoning a purchase occurred when shipping costs were $20 or more.
Furthermore, the research found that, as a marketing tool, free shipping is far greater weapon to wield than speedy deliveries. More than three-quarters of respondents (77%) placed 'free' above 'speed' (19%). However, while free shipping is universally welcomed, a "measurable portion" would prefer to pay a fee to ensure delivery.
"For retailers, how they leverage and manage their shipping costs and returns process and how they use that in creating an experience for their client is going to be a big factor in their sales this holiday season," said Jim Hendrickson, vice president and general manager of shipping solutions, Pitney Bowes.
"Retailers need to be thinking: How do I manage my shipping costs out of ecommerce so I can ultimately give my client a lower cost for shipping or give it to them for free? The entire purchase experience is what matters to the buyer today."
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...