News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey shows cost of shipping really matters to 80% of shoppers
This year, consumers are more focused on the cost of shipping items purchased online than they were three years ago, according to new research in the U.S. commissioned by Pitney Bowes.
Shipping is an important factor in the online shopping process, more so this year than in the last three years, according to Pitney Bowes' survey of more than 1,000 U.S. adults.
A whopping 80% of Americans that shop online consider shipping costs to be an important factor in their purchase decisions. Almost half (47%) say they are paying more attention to shipping in their purchase decisions than they did three years ago and 49% have abandoned a shopping cart due to a high shipping cost. The threshold for abandoning a purchase occurred when shipping costs were $20 or more.
Furthermore, the research found that, as a marketing tool, free shipping is far greater weapon to wield than speedy deliveries. More than three-quarters of respondents (77%) placed 'free' above 'speed' (19%). However, while free shipping is universally welcomed, a "measurable portion" would prefer to pay a fee to ensure delivery.
"For retailers, how they leverage and manage their shipping costs and returns process and how they use that in creating an experience for their client is going to be a big factor in their sales this holiday season," said Jim Hendrickson, vice president and general manager of shipping solutions, Pitney Bowes.
"Retailers need to be thinking: How do I manage my shipping costs out of ecommerce so I can ultimately give my client a lower cost for shipping or give it to them for free? The entire purchase experience is what matters to the buyer today."
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...