News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey shows cost of shipping really matters to 80% of shoppers
This year, consumers are more focused on the cost of shipping items purchased online than they were three years ago, according to new research in the U.S. commissioned by Pitney Bowes.
Shipping is an important factor in the online shopping process, more so this year than in the last three years, according to Pitney Bowes' survey of more than 1,000 U.S. adults.
A whopping 80% of Americans that shop online consider shipping costs to be an important factor in their purchase decisions. Almost half (47%) say they are paying more attention to shipping in their purchase decisions than they did three years ago and 49% have abandoned a shopping cart due to a high shipping cost. The threshold for abandoning a purchase occurred when shipping costs were $20 or more.
Furthermore, the research found that, as a marketing tool, free shipping is far greater weapon to wield than speedy deliveries. More than three-quarters of respondents (77%) placed 'free' above 'speed' (19%). However, while free shipping is universally welcomed, a "measurable portion" would prefer to pay a fee to ensure delivery.
"For retailers, how they leverage and manage their shipping costs and returns process and how they use that in creating an experience for their client is going to be a big factor in their sales this holiday season," said Jim Hendrickson, vice president and general manager of shipping solutions, Pitney Bowes.
"Retailers need to be thinking: How do I manage my shipping costs out of ecommerce so I can ultimately give my client a lower cost for shipping or give it to them for free? The entire purchase experience is what matters to the buyer today."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...