News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teenagers' social media preference switches from Facebook to Twitter
U.S. marketers targeting teens on social media should turn their attention from Facebook to Twitter as new research finds more U.S. teens prefer the microblogging platform over Zuckerberg's behemoth.
Financial firm Piper Jaffray has today revealed the findings of a new survey that shows Twitter is more popular among U.S. teens than Facebook. Just over a quarter of teens (26%) prefer Twitter compared with 23% who prefer Facebook.
The survey shows a shift in preferences compared with a survey earlier this year in which Facebook was preferred over Twitter by 33% to 30%.
"The data point is likely unsurprising as the trend in our survey has been moving toward Twitter over the past couple of years," said analysts Gene Munster and Douglas Clinton in a note to clients.
"Overall, regardless of the trend in teen preference toward other networks, we continue to believe that Facebook has additional avenues for monetization in Instagram and video in the coming months."
However, advertisers want to see a bigger audience on Twitter before they commit to more advertising. The platform has 218 million users compared with Facebook's 1.15 billion.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...