News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: More workers moving in with parents, underemployed
This will not come as a shock: Baby Boomers are making more than either Gen Xers or Gen Y. It stands to reason as Boomers have been in the job market longer. What is interesting, in a new report out from PayScale and Millennial Branding, is that more workers from all demographics are working from home or are choosing to work for smaller companies.
Researchers found that, for all worker demographics, male to female pay ratios were separated by about 3%, with the closest gender gaps occurring in the Gen Y demo.
"Similar to other studies, our research reinforces that the sluggish and uncertain economy has made a significant impact on the perspectives and experiences of not only Generation Y, but also Generation X and Baby Boomers," said Katie Bardaro, lead economist for PayScale. "It is also important to note the complexities that each generation possesses based upon so many economic, cultural, and sociological conditions and issues."
Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 28% of Millennials have moved back in with their parents (Gen X 11%, Boomers 5%)
• Baby Boomers are most likely to want to change their boss (9% vs. 6% of Gen Y or 7& of Gen X)
• Gen Yers are most likely to be 'unsatisfied' at work and are most likely to work at smaller companies
"The economy has delayed their careers and their personal independence and forced them to work harder than previous generations just to catch up," said Dan Schawbel, Founder of Millennial Branding and New York Times best-selling author of Promote Yourself. "They are taking on multiple jobs to pay back student loans and are being forced to create their own careers instead of relying on companies to do it for them."
Image via Shutterstock
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
- Report: Video is video regardless of screen
- Study: US mobile app experience low
- Top 4 tips to succeed at Mother's Day email
- Ad Roundup: New solutions for personalization, collaboration
- How brands can better manage social
- How data impacts marketing automation
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...