News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Fraudulent impressions top $3 billion mark
A new study out from MdotLabs puts a dollar value on fraudulent traffic and fake ad impressions - and it's in the billions. Not only that but some of the biggest brands in the US are falling victim to what researchers call Pay-Per-View (PPV) fraud.
"Fake display-ad impressions are estimated to account for about 30% of overall online traffic," says Timur Yarnall, CEO and co-founder of MdotLabs. "That puts display fraud waste at $3.6 to $4.5 billion annually in the US alone. That doesn't include video, mobile, or the rest of the world. We believe the estimate would easily top $10 billion on a global basis."
Pay-Per-View networks have cropped up all over the Internet, touting their ability to push brand messages to consumers, but according to MdotLabs' "Impression Fraud in On-line Advertising via Pay-Per-View Networks" report many of these PPV ads are never seen by consumers' eyes. Instead malware and bots are pushing many 'impressions', which cheats the advertisers paying for those same impressions.
"We conservatively estimate the number of invalid impressions that are generated from these PPV networks alone to be on the order of 15 billion per month. Assuming the modest quality level for sites that are part of PPV networks, we estimate the cost to advertisers for this fraudulent traffic to be on the order of $180 million annually," said Mdotlabs Chief Scientist and co-founder, Dr. Paul Barford.
MdotLabs researchers posed as online publishers and signed up for several services to study how the services worked.
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...