News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Shoppers in a lull, here's how to engage
Back to school shoppers are, well, done, and the holiday shopping rush isn't quite here - yet. And, according to new numbers out from Euclid Analytics, retailers have likely noticed the slowdown. According to some experts, shoppers will begin picking up holiday items by Halloween, but for now the time people are spending in-store is down about 5% year over year and 6% month over month.
"Shopping session duration, defined as the mean time from store entry to store exit, was 22 minutes 15 seconds in September 2013, a decline of 5.0% year-over-year and 5.7% from August 2013. The shorter shopping sessions during September, following a solid summer, again reflect a decline in shopper intent compared to the recent Back-to-School period and a strong September a year ago," writes the company.
Some takeaways from the US Retail Benchmarks for September 2013 include:
• Store walk-ins are down: researchers found people 'walking by' stores and then entering to make a purchase slid to about 14%
• 15% of shoppers were 'bouncing' or entering but leaving within 5 minutes
• 25% of store visits are now 'active repeat' shoppers who visit more than once per month
Meanwhile, new data out from SurveyMonkey finds the most engaging discount programs are dollar-off deals. Researchers found that most shoppers prefer simple '$50 off' promotions because they don't have to figure out the savings for percentage off deals. Other interesting findings include:
• Most shoppers would prefer an instant rebate/refund to getting a free item down the road
• 78% say they prefer to get deals via email
• Gift cards are key - 40% said they would accept $5 Visa Giftcards as a purchase/program reward
Image via Shutterstock
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...