News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: eGift cards, shopping early hot for the holidays
The calendar may have just turned over to October two days ago, but shoppers are already thinking about the upcoming holiday season. While many are simply making lists, others are checking those lists twice - and picking up gifts before Halloween even passes.
Ask.com recently polled American consumers about their plans for the holiday season, shopping wise. Their data shows:
• 40% will 'avoid crowds' by shopping in-store before Black Friday
• East Coast shoppers are most likely to shop in-store while West Coast shoppers are most likely to shop online
• 30% say they'll shop early while 33% say they may re-gift presents from holidays-past
The hottest products leading up to the shopping craze? Ask's survey found Apple's iPhone 5 topping the list along with the Philip Lim 3.1 Collection at Target. As for toys, Lego Mindstorms and Barbie's Dreamhouse top many lists.
Meanwhile, data out from RSR Research may give brands a hint as to what will be hot during the upcoming 2013 holiday shopping season. One bright spot from the Digital Gift Cards: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: eGift Cards. According to the data eGift cards will again be a popular purchase for shoppers, with the top gift cards expected to be from The Home Depot, Sephora, Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts.
"The gifting experience - whether it is a gift card or a traditional product purchase - is a retail brand's opportunity to influence two parties - the buyer and the recipient. By providing an exceptional experience, a retailer can essentially create two brand enthusiasts when before there may have just been one," said Steven Boal, CEO at CashStar. "We're encouraged by RSR's findings that digital gifting has become a priority for more retailers than in years past and would like to congratulate the CashStar clients that scored well in this year's report."
The RSR data is based on the discoverability of digital gifting programs, conversions, recipient experience, social and mobile integrations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....