News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: eGift cards, shopping early hot for the holidays
The calendar may have just turned over to October two days ago, but shoppers are already thinking about the upcoming holiday season. While many are simply making lists, others are checking those lists twice - and picking up gifts before Halloween even passes.
Ask.com recently polled American consumers about their plans for the holiday season, shopping wise. Their data shows:
• 40% will 'avoid crowds' by shopping in-store before Black Friday
• East Coast shoppers are most likely to shop in-store while West Coast shoppers are most likely to shop online
• 30% say they'll shop early while 33% say they may re-gift presents from holidays-past
The hottest products leading up to the shopping craze? Ask's survey found Apple's iPhone 5 topping the list along with the Philip Lim 3.1 Collection at Target. As for toys, Lego Mindstorms and Barbie's Dreamhouse top many lists.
Meanwhile, data out from RSR Research may give brands a hint as to what will be hot during the upcoming 2013 holiday shopping season. One bright spot from the Digital Gift Cards: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: eGift Cards. According to the data eGift cards will again be a popular purchase for shoppers, with the top gift cards expected to be from The Home Depot, Sephora, Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts.
"The gifting experience - whether it is a gift card or a traditional product purchase - is a retail brand's opportunity to influence two parties - the buyer and the recipient. By providing an exceptional experience, a retailer can essentially create two brand enthusiasts when before there may have just been one," said Steven Boal, CEO at CashStar. "We're encouraged by RSR's findings that digital gifting has become a priority for more retailers than in years past and would like to congratulate the CashStar clients that scored well in this year's report."
The RSR data is based on the discoverability of digital gifting programs, conversions, recipient experience, social and mobile integrations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...