News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: eGift cards, shopping early hot for the holidays
The calendar may have just turned over to October two days ago, but shoppers are already thinking about the upcoming holiday season. While many are simply making lists, others are checking those lists twice - and picking up gifts before Halloween even passes.
Ask.com recently polled American consumers about their plans for the holiday season, shopping wise. Their data shows:
• 40% will 'avoid crowds' by shopping in-store before Black Friday
• East Coast shoppers are most likely to shop in-store while West Coast shoppers are most likely to shop online
• 30% say they'll shop early while 33% say they may re-gift presents from holidays-past
The hottest products leading up to the shopping craze? Ask's survey found Apple's iPhone 5 topping the list along with the Philip Lim 3.1 Collection at Target. As for toys, Lego Mindstorms and Barbie's Dreamhouse top many lists.
Meanwhile, data out from RSR Research may give brands a hint as to what will be hot during the upcoming 2013 holiday shopping season. One bright spot from the Digital Gift Cards: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: eGift Cards. According to the data eGift cards will again be a popular purchase for shoppers, with the top gift cards expected to be from The Home Depot, Sephora, Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts.
"The gifting experience - whether it is a gift card or a traditional product purchase - is a retail brand's opportunity to influence two parties - the buyer and the recipient. By providing an exceptional experience, a retailer can essentially create two brand enthusiasts when before there may have just been one," said Steven Boal, CEO at CashStar. "We're encouraged by RSR's findings that digital gifting has become a priority for more retailers than in years past and would like to congratulate the CashStar clients that scored well in this year's report."
The RSR data is based on the discoverability of digital gifting programs, conversions, recipient experience, social and mobile integrations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...