News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Parago: More consumers deal-seeking and price-checking
A new report from incentives and engagement specialists Parago reveals new deal-seeking behaviors among consumers in the U.S. who are feeling the pinch.
More people in Parago's 2013 Shopper Behavior Study (.pdf) feel they are price sensitive this year than last - 75% vs. 70% - caused in part by more people feeling their purchasing power has declined.
So, it's no surprise that a key take-out from Parago's report is that "price is king". More than half (56%) of consumers surveyed for the report said price is the primary influence on shopping decisions, way ahead of brand (17%), quality (17%) or loyalty programs (3%).
Deal-seeking behavior is up across the board and checking prices via mobile is up a whopping 400%. So too is the number of people who shop at stores where they can check prices (46% vs. 11%).
Also seeing an increase is deal-checking before embarking on a shopping trip. The number of people researching deals before leaving home has risen from 69% last year to 80% in 2013. The number who check online before a shopping trip has risen to over half (59%) from 38% last year.
"Consumers at all income levels are feeling the pinch of the lagging economy," says the report. "Their long and worsening struggle has manifested itself in new deal-seeking shopping behaviors that are laser-focused on paying only what it's worth and not a penny more. Across the board, shoppers now seek out the very best prices and are willing to go out of their way to save even a little bit."
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...