News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Number of Americans posting video online doubles in 4 years
While there has been consistent growth in the number of Americans watching video online, new figures released by the Pew Internet Project show that significant increase in the numbers uploading or posting videos online.
In 2009, 14% of Americans uploaded or posted video content online. That figure now stands at over double - 31% - driven in part by smartphone adoption (91% of Americans now own a smartphone) and social networking.
"Since 2006, we've seen consistent increases year-to-year in the percentage of adults who watch videos online, but this survey marks the largest increase we've seen in the percent of adults who are posting video online," said Kristen Purcell, associate director of research at the Pew Internet Project, who believes posting video online has now become a mainstream online behavior.
Over a quarter (27%) of adult Internet users have uploaded video content online for others to watch, while 18% have uploaded video content they have created themselves. Content of videos created and uploaded by users largely consists of friends and family doing normal, everyday things (58%) or of themselves or others doing funny things (56%). Just over half (54%) upload video of events, such as concerts and sports, they have attended.
A few adults that have uploaded video content have regretted their actions (5%) but many (35%) secretly hope that their video will go viral.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...