News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More travelers using comparison shopping travel website to make reservations
More than a quarter of U.S. travelers now make travel reservations via comparison travel shopping sites such as Kayak, according to the results of a new survey released by MMGY Global/Harrison Group, and over half turn to review sites such as TripAdvisor.com for recommendations.
Many Americans continue to feel the pinch financially, or are cautious about spending, but new research reveals a slight uptick (3%) in the number of active leisure travelers* who plan to "take more trips in the year ahead". Most (64%) intend to take the same number of vacations as they did last.
The findings, published in the '2013 Portrait of American Travelers' report, found those active travelers are increasingly turning to websites like Dealbase and Kayak to research and make reservations. Use of such sites is up to 28% this year compared to 15% in 2010. During the same time, the use of online travel agents to make travel reservations is down from 66% to 58%.
The use of travel-related mobile apps has also significantly increased since 2010 and 36% now download apps such as hotel (38%) and airline (54%) branded apps and destination guides (27%).
While technology is playing an increasing role in travel research, many travelers (82%) still rely on the advice and recommendations of family and friends. However, a large number do rely on online resources and consult travel review sites such as TripAdvisor (58%) and blog posts (41%).
Such resources and technology are "factoring heavily into the decision-making process, as travelers are attempting to make smarter choices, seeking better value and good deals" says Steve Cohen, vice president of Insights at MMGY Global.
* Households with an annual income of $50,000 or more and who took at least one leisure trip of 75 miles or more from home during the previous 12 months on which they used overnight accommodation.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...