News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Instagram vs. Facebook: Images speak louder than words
A new study released by Expion reveals that back-to-school content on Instagram was more popular than Facebook's.
Almost 800 social media postings in the U.S. by big retailers such as JCPenney, Target and Walgreens were analysed by Expion to ascertain 'fan action by post', defined as the total of Likes and comments for Instagram and Likes, comments and Shares for Facebook.
The analysis, reported in The Drum, revealed that while Instagram gained 37% above an average fan action per post, Facebook fell 7%.
Perhaps we're moving into an age where pictures truly do speak louder than words. Certainly Justin Hernandez, writing on the Huffington Post's tech blog thinks so.
"Posting habits seem to be changing with most people solely sharing pictures directly from their Instagram accounts," writes Hernandez. "Aside from the usual barrage of selfies and food porn, I've seen an interesting trend develop where photos containing thoughts or expressions are preferred over the actual words being typed into a status update."
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
- Top 3 tips to improve SMB security
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...