News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Australian firm pays a high price for spam emails
Reports are surfacing in the Australian press today about a record fine served on a company for sending out hundreds of thousands of email messages that breach the Spam Act.
Email marketers beware. Sending out emails with no opt-out facility or sending emails to people who have already withdrawn their consent to receiving marketing messages by email, can land you in hot financial water. About AU$165,000 (US$155,694) worth of financial hot water, if the fine dished out to Grays, the company behind retail and auction site GraysOnline, is a measure of the punishment meted out.
Since the introduction of the Spam Act in Australia almost a decade ago, 26 fines have been handed out by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). Under the Spam Act, all marketing emails must be sent with a recipient's consent and include an opt-out option.
Grays' fine is the largest to date.
ACMA deputy chair, Richard Bean, says that the fine is just one consequence of a company's careless business decision.
"Businesses take a huge risk if they decide an email doesn't need to comply with the Spam Act," said Bean. "This conduct involved a conscious decision by an experienced e-marketer. The consequences of getting it wrong can be severe - from potential penalties such as this, to damaging your reputation."
Image via Shutterstock
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...