News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
80% of retailers fail to send triggered emails after cart abandonment
Online retailers on both sides of the Atlantic are missing out on billions in revenue by failing to send email messages triggered by cart abandonment, according to new research from dotMailer.
Of the 40 U.S. and U.K. retailers assessed for dotMailer's research, a whopping 80% did not send an email triggered by shopping cart abandonment. Those retailers are missing out on an opportunity to tempt customers back to the website and potentially passing by billions in revenue.
Of the 20% of retailers that did send out triggered emails in response to an abandoned cart, all arrived in customer's inboxes within 48 hours - 50% within 24 hours and 25% within the hour. The quicker a triggered email is sent, the less chance that customer has to go and shop elsewhere.
Unfortunately, many retailers aren't factoring mobile into the mix, with just 50% sending out triggered emails that are optimized for viewing on a mobile device.
According to the report, "Email Marketing Through the Purchase Journey: A Benchmark Report", "little real effort was made to sell the products beyond just presenting them". Some retailers even failed to reference the item abandoned in their email message.
dotMailer provides a few tips on how to get the best out of emails triggered by cart abandonment:
- Highlight any value offers for price sensitive customers;
- Use urgency to motivate purchase, "this item may sell out";
- Ensure email is mobile-friendly;
- Send emails within one hour of abandonment, so that shoppers don't have a chance to find the same item somewhere else;
- Use images of abandoned items to jog customers' memory;
- Ensure alternative customer contact information is included.
Image via Shutterstock
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...