News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
80% of retailers fail to send triggered emails after cart abandonment
Online retailers on both sides of the Atlantic are missing out on billions in revenue by failing to send email messages triggered by cart abandonment, according to new research from dotMailer.
Of the 40 U.S. and U.K. retailers assessed for dotMailer's research, a whopping 80% did not send an email triggered by shopping cart abandonment. Those retailers are missing out on an opportunity to tempt customers back to the website and potentially passing by billions in revenue.
Of the 20% of retailers that did send out triggered emails in response to an abandoned cart, all arrived in customer's inboxes within 48 hours - 50% within 24 hours and 25% within the hour. The quicker a triggered email is sent, the less chance that customer has to go and shop elsewhere.
Unfortunately, many retailers aren't factoring mobile into the mix, with just 50% sending out triggered emails that are optimized for viewing on a mobile device.
According to the report, "Email Marketing Through the Purchase Journey: A Benchmark Report", "little real effort was made to sell the products beyond just presenting them". Some retailers even failed to reference the item abandoned in their email message.
dotMailer provides a few tips on how to get the best out of emails triggered by cart abandonment:
- Highlight any value offers for price sensitive customers;
- Use urgency to motivate purchase, "this item may sell out";
- Ensure email is mobile-friendly;
- Send emails within one hour of abandonment, so that shoppers don't have a chance to find the same item somewhere else;
- Use images of abandoned items to jog customers' memory;
- Ensure alternative customer contact information is included.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study finds more people unwilling to share data
- Study: Internet speeds up globally
- Study IDs how Millennials engage with traditional media
- Report: Half of online buys happen after an hour
- Expert: Why real time isn't fast enough
- What new crowdfunding rules mean for SMBs
- Study IDs how retailers can compete with Amazon
- Expert: How to determine if calls are leads or not
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...