News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
80% of retailers fail to send triggered emails after cart abandonment
Online retailers on both sides of the Atlantic are missing out on billions in revenue by failing to send email messages triggered by cart abandonment, according to new research from dotMailer.
Of the 40 U.S. and U.K. retailers assessed for dotMailer's research, a whopping 80% did not send an email triggered by shopping cart abandonment. Those retailers are missing out on an opportunity to tempt customers back to the website and potentially passing by billions in revenue.
Of the 20% of retailers that did send out triggered emails in response to an abandoned cart, all arrived in customer's inboxes within 48 hours - 50% within 24 hours and 25% within the hour. The quicker a triggered email is sent, the less chance that customer has to go and shop elsewhere.
Unfortunately, many retailers aren't factoring mobile into the mix, with just 50% sending out triggered emails that are optimized for viewing on a mobile device.
According to the report, "Email Marketing Through the Purchase Journey: A Benchmark Report", "little real effort was made to sell the products beyond just presenting them". Some retailers even failed to reference the item abandoned in their email message.
dotMailer provides a few tips on how to get the best out of emails triggered by cart abandonment:
- Highlight any value offers for price sensitive customers;
- Use urgency to motivate purchase, "this item may sell out";
- Ensure email is mobile-friendly;
- Send emails within one hour of abandonment, so that shoppers don't have a chance to find the same item somewhere else;
- Use images of abandoned items to jog customers' memory;
- Ensure alternative customer contact information is included.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...