News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
80% of retailers fail to send triggered emails after cart abandonment
Online retailers on both sides of the Atlantic are missing out on billions in revenue by failing to send email messages triggered by cart abandonment, according to new research from dotMailer.
Of the 40 U.S. and U.K. retailers assessed for dotMailer's research, a whopping 80% did not send an email triggered by shopping cart abandonment. Those retailers are missing out on an opportunity to tempt customers back to the website and potentially passing by billions in revenue.
Of the 20% of retailers that did send out triggered emails in response to an abandoned cart, all arrived in customer's inboxes within 48 hours - 50% within 24 hours and 25% within the hour. The quicker a triggered email is sent, the less chance that customer has to go and shop elsewhere.
Unfortunately, many retailers aren't factoring mobile into the mix, with just 50% sending out triggered emails that are optimized for viewing on a mobile device.
According to the report, "Email Marketing Through the Purchase Journey: A Benchmark Report", "little real effort was made to sell the products beyond just presenting them". Some retailers even failed to reference the item abandoned in their email message.
dotMailer provides a few tips on how to get the best out of emails triggered by cart abandonment:
- Highlight any value offers for price sensitive customers;
- Use urgency to motivate purchase, "this item may sell out";
- Ensure email is mobile-friendly;
- Send emails within one hour of abandonment, so that shoppers don't have a chance to find the same item somewhere else;
- Use images of abandoned items to jog customers' memory;
- Ensure alternative customer contact information is included.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
- Expert: 'Likes' aren't the value of social
- Alternative methods outpace bank cards in global online payments
- Are you EU GDPR ready?
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...