News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Worldwide annual app store downloads to hit 102 billion this year
In 2012, 64 billion mobile apps were downloaded from app stores worldwide generating $18 billion in revenue. According to new figures released by Gartner, the download figure for 2013 will reach 102 billion with revenues approaching $26 billion.
In 2012, 11% of total revenue was generated by in-app purchases. This year, Gartner forecasts in-app purchases will generate 17% rising to nearly half of total revenues (48%) by 2017.
However, while in-app downloads will exhibit strong growth throughout this year and next, it will slow in later years as the uptake of smart devices increases among "mass-market consumers whose willingness and/or affordability to spend on IAPs is lower than early adopters".
Nevertheless, says Gartner, in-app purchases will become a "major monetization method for apps stores and developers".
"We see that users are not put off by the fact that they have already paid for an app, and are willing to spend more if they are happy with the experience," says Brian Blau, research director at Gartner.
"As a result, we believe that IAP is a promising and sustainable monetization method because it encourages performance-based purchasing; that is, users only pay when they are happy with the experience, and developers have to work hard to earn the revenue through good design and performance."
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
- Survey: Marketers facing disconnect with content creation
- Nearly half of consumers believe mobile marketing messages are irrelevant, useless
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...