News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Which ad formats are putting off your website visitors?
Are the types of ad formats on your website driving consumers away? According to new research from content-style ad network Adblade, where online ads appear on a page can seriously damage their enjoyment of a website, or turn them away.
A negative experience is not what you want your website deliver. However, if you are using flash take-over ad units that is precisely what you are giving visitors. In fact, over half (55%) of those surveyed by Toluna for Adblade would be driven away by such an ad format.
Overall, 82% of consumers believe that online ads are harmful to their experience, at least some of the time. As well as flash take-over ad units, right-rail banners (10%) and video pre-roll (9%) were also off-putting.
However, ad units within a slideshow (2%), text links (2%) and bottom of article placements (5%) were the least likely to provide a negative website experience.
In terms of banner ad placement, 66% cited middle of the page as the most obtrusive, followed by top of the page (19%) and right hand side (10%), while bottom of the page was, once again, the least obtrusive.
"The survey shows that consumers are very aware of ads on the sites they visit, but they have clearly-defined limits for what does and doesn't have a negative impact on their experience," said Ash Nashed, CEO and co-founder of Adblade.
"Advertisers today are looking for new ways to reach and engage with consumers online while publishers are simultaneously looking to increase their ad revenue. Both parties need to keep the audience's best interests in mind while pursuing these goals."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...