News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Visual generation' demands more visual technology for shopping experience
The 18-34 demographic are part of a new and growing generation driven by imagery. According to research conducted by web data firm WeSEE, 40% of consumers age 35 and under have used a mobile device to take a photograph of a product in-store that they want to purchase when they get home.
According to WeSEE co-founder, Adrian Moxley, "retailers must move outside of purely text-based descriptions of items to help shoppers find what they're looking for".
WeSEE concludes that this new 'visual generation' embrace and use the latest shopping technologies, and they want more visual technology incorporated for in-store, online and mobile shopping. For example:
- 45% would like the ability to photograph and item with a mobile device and be linked directly to a site to purchase it;
- 32% would like to be able to upload an product image and be shown similar items;
- 33% would like information on where to purchase outfits worn by celebrities on the High Street;
- Viewing the shape and style of a product, rather than a text description, is considered 'important' or 'critically important' by 65%.
"Younger generations of shoppers are much more visual in the way they use the web and are very mobilized particularly when it comes to shopping and sharing purchase ideas with friends," says Moxley. "There are countless ways in which visual technology can be integrated into the purchase journey, for instance 'drag, drop and shop' and the incorporation of digital imagery into the purchase journey creates a sophisticated, multi-layered visual, social shopping experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...