News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
TRUSTe: Most people concerned about online privacy
Never has it been truer that trust is earned. According to new data out from TRUSTe, more consumers are concerned about privacy than they were a year ago; 2 in 3 say they 'have concerns' about how their personal information is used and how their online actions and purchases are tracked.
All is not bad on the privacy front, however. While more people are concerned with online privacy, the study also found that brands' transparency about how they use and collect data as well as the addition of new privacy controls make consumers feel 'more secure' about the online space. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 62% of people say they'll 'do more business' with brands that offer the ability to opt out of OBA
• 53% say they're 'more willing to click' on ads giving them opt-out options
• 40% say they are 'more positive' about OBA
• 60% understand the trade-off of advertising for free content but only 26% believe advertisers should use browsing habits to target ads
• 91% say privacy is important, 64% are more concerned about privacy now than in the past
• 1 in 3 say they've stopped shopping with a brand because of privacy concerns
"This poll confirms that businesses that demonstrate their commitment to consumer privacy fare far better in the marketplace than those that do not. Giving consumers notice of online behavioral advertising and the ability to opt out through the DAA AdChoices icon is simply the best decision a company can make," said Genie Barton, VP and Director of the Online Interest-Based Advertising Accountability Program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB). "It benefits all companies to adhere to the highest privacy standards when using interest-based advertising, and we will continue to build consumer trust in businesses by rigorous enforcement of the DAA Program."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...