News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
TRUSTe: Most people concerned about online privacy
Never has it been truer that trust is earned. According to new data out from TRUSTe, more consumers are concerned about privacy than they were a year ago; 2 in 3 say they 'have concerns' about how their personal information is used and how their online actions and purchases are tracked.
All is not bad on the privacy front, however. While more people are concerned with online privacy, the study also found that brands' transparency about how they use and collect data as well as the addition of new privacy controls make consumers feel 'more secure' about the online space. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 62% of people say they'll 'do more business' with brands that offer the ability to opt out of OBA
• 53% say they're 'more willing to click' on ads giving them opt-out options
• 40% say they are 'more positive' about OBA
• 60% understand the trade-off of advertising for free content but only 26% believe advertisers should use browsing habits to target ads
• 91% say privacy is important, 64% are more concerned about privacy now than in the past
• 1 in 3 say they've stopped shopping with a brand because of privacy concerns
"This poll confirms that businesses that demonstrate their commitment to consumer privacy fare far better in the marketplace than those that do not. Giving consumers notice of online behavioral advertising and the ability to opt out through the DAA AdChoices icon is simply the best decision a company can make," said Genie Barton, VP and Director of the Online Interest-Based Advertising Accountability Program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB). "It benefits all companies to adhere to the highest privacy standards when using interest-based advertising, and we will continue to build consumer trust in businesses by rigorous enforcement of the DAA Program."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...