News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
TRUSTe: Most people concerned about online privacy
Never has it been truer that trust is earned. According to new data out from TRUSTe, more consumers are concerned about privacy than they were a year ago; 2 in 3 say they 'have concerns' about how their personal information is used and how their online actions and purchases are tracked.
All is not bad on the privacy front, however. While more people are concerned with online privacy, the study also found that brands' transparency about how they use and collect data as well as the addition of new privacy controls make consumers feel 'more secure' about the online space. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 62% of people say they'll 'do more business' with brands that offer the ability to opt out of OBA
• 53% say they're 'more willing to click' on ads giving them opt-out options
• 40% say they are 'more positive' about OBA
• 60% understand the trade-off of advertising for free content but only 26% believe advertisers should use browsing habits to target ads
• 91% say privacy is important, 64% are more concerned about privacy now than in the past
• 1 in 3 say they've stopped shopping with a brand because of privacy concerns
"This poll confirms that businesses that demonstrate their commitment to consumer privacy fare far better in the marketplace than those that do not. Giving consumers notice of online behavioral advertising and the ability to opt out through the DAA AdChoices icon is simply the best decision a company can make," said Genie Barton, VP and Director of the Online Interest-Based Advertising Accountability Program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB). "It benefits all companies to adhere to the highest privacy standards when using interest-based advertising, and we will continue to build consumer trust in businesses by rigorous enforcement of the DAA Program."
Image via Shutterstock
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
- Ecommerce Roundup: Gift cards to push holiday spending
- Top 3 tips to improve Pinterest strategy
- Top strategies for mobile email
- Movable Ink: Most emails read for just 3 seconds or less
- Forecast: Mobile to push nearly half of Thanksgiving Weekend sales
- Reports: Millennials look at Thanksgiving differently
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...