News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for engaging more Millennials
Millennials don't consider online advertising to be credible because they don't have to rely on it. With the expansion of social relationships, millennials have a huge network of people at their disposal. Some are truly trusted friends and family, and some are little more than acquaintances. Regardless, many go to their social networks to seek advice, opinions and recommendations.
Kristina: With this mistrust, how can brand effectively engage?
Aaron Everson, President & COO, Shoutlet: Brands can effectively engage millennials through being realistic about where millennials want to engage with them. Because 95% of millennials say the most credible source of product information is their friends, along with parents and online experts, calls for a strategy that takes advantage of brand advocates and influencers who will support your brand in social spaces. Advertising is only the first step in developing a trusted relationship with a fan or consumer. Taking the knowledge that can be gleaned from ads-based engagements will help a brand understand how to groom and nurture that relationship to get them to the point of being a brand advocate.
Kristina: Is there one hangout - Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, blog/news site - that is best to reach out to Millennials?
Aaron: The problem with identifying one platform is this: what's popular today could be old news tomorrow. Millennials have a notoriously short attention span -- shorter than your average consumer's -- so grabbing and keeping their attention is key. Today, we're seeing the value of media-based outreach for the millennial set, with apps like SnapChat and Instagram (and Instagram Video) flourishing. Bottom line, whichever channel of outreach you decide, you have to make it interesting.
Kristina: What are your top 3 tips to engage Millennials?
• Put them in the drivers' seat - Part of the success in marketing to millennials is bringing them into the brand story and allowing them to be content creators. One way to do this is to encourage them to submit user-generated content via a brand's social channels. Also, often an incentive or content will often inspire millennials to share.
• Be a brand to love - Millennials are often referred to as the optimistic generation, as they're raring to change the world. Therefore, millennials may be more inclined to think highly of brands that have a track record of giving back to the community.
• Do mobile right - While mobile advertising may not be the right way to go when it comes to millennials, there are still other tactics that can be used to engage them. For example, creating a hashtag they can take part of with an event is a great way to get them creating content with the brand.
More from Aaron and Shoutlet on Friday, including his top 3 tips for building millennial relationships.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...