News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Millennials sharing the wealth through coupons
Turns out it isn't just busy moms and thrifty grandmothers clipping coupons out of the local newspaper every Sunday. A new survey from RedPlum indicated Millennials are coupon omnivores - grabbing discounts from the mail, from circulars and online, too.
According to the RedPlum Purse String Survey one-third of Millennials use coupons received in the mail and 21% from retail circulars but nearly half are also snagging emailed coupons or coupon codes via their mobile device. Researchers found:
• 45% access coupons from email via smartphone
• 41% use coupon codes on their smartphone
• 36% compare deals
• 32% will download coupons to loyalty cards
"The RedPlum Purse String Survey results are somewhat counter intuitive from what you might expect based on what we know about millennials," said Lisa Reynolds, Valassis Vice President of Consumer Engagement. "While they are heavy digital users, this group also embraces tried and true methods for savings, as much as any other age group. Promotion sensitive, they are a true testament to the use of savings from both print and digital sources."
Compared to the rest of the population, Millennials are leading a new coupon charge. For example, where 45% of Millennials use mobile devices for emailed coupons only 24% of the general population were found to do the same. Results were similar with the rest of the variables: the general population falling behind Millennials' use of devices for couponing.
As for how Millennials are sharing - and finding out - about coupons and deals, nearly three quarters (71%) rely on word of mouth while 43% depend on social networks and one-third (30%) rely on text messages.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...