News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Millennials sharing the wealth through coupons
Turns out it isn't just busy moms and thrifty grandmothers clipping coupons out of the local newspaper every Sunday. A new survey from RedPlum indicated Millennials are coupon omnivores - grabbing discounts from the mail, from circulars and online, too.
According to the RedPlum Purse String Survey one-third of Millennials use coupons received in the mail and 21% from retail circulars but nearly half are also snagging emailed coupons or coupon codes via their mobile device. Researchers found:
• 45% access coupons from email via smartphone
• 41% use coupon codes on their smartphone
• 36% compare deals
• 32% will download coupons to loyalty cards
"The RedPlum Purse String Survey results are somewhat counter intuitive from what you might expect based on what we know about millennials," said Lisa Reynolds, Valassis Vice President of Consumer Engagement. "While they are heavy digital users, this group also embraces tried and true methods for savings, as much as any other age group. Promotion sensitive, they are a true testament to the use of savings from both print and digital sources."
Compared to the rest of the population, Millennials are leading a new coupon charge. For example, where 45% of Millennials use mobile devices for emailed coupons only 24% of the general population were found to do the same. Results were similar with the rest of the variables: the general population falling behind Millennials' use of devices for couponing.
As for how Millennials are sharing - and finding out - about coupons and deals, nearly three quarters (71%) rely on word of mouth while 43% depend on social networks and one-third (30%) rely on text messages.
Image via Shutterstock
- Christmas Day the busiest for mobile
- Delivery options determine where online shoppers will shop
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
- Expert: Tips for a more productive 2017
- Consumers more likely to click on ads featuring user-generated photography
- Personalized offers on mobile drive consumers in-store
- Marketers prioritizing social media for product launches
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...