News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Half of US viewers stream their content
In the US, streaming video has reached the tipping point. That is the takeaway from a new report from GfK; their research shows that more than half (51%) of US consumers are now streaming video content at least weekly.
The uptick in streaming content is placed largely on PCs, but the researchers not that mobile devices will push even more viewers to streaming options. Mobile devices allow viewers to watch television and independent programming at their leisure and while away from their homes - as long as they have WiFi or 3G/4G connections.
As to who is streaming the most, younger consumers are most likely to be found streaming than older Americans. More than 60% of Gen Y/Millennials are streaming video content while 46% of Gen Xers and only about one-third (30%) of Boomers are streaming.
"The synergies between consumers and their connected devices are radically transforming video entertainment," said David Tice, Senior Vice President of GfK's Media and Entertainment team. Streaming video is giving consumers more and more control over their viewing - and forcing content providers to reinvent their business models. As broadband connections and mobile devices continue to improve, this trend is bound to accelerate, creating a host of opportunities for those who can think ahead of the next technology."
The study, How People Use Media: Over-the-Top TV 2013, indicates most of this content is still PC based, but points to video game consoles (9% share) and streaming-capable HDTVs (5% share) as having potentially huge growth over the coming months.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...