News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Concerns about mobile privacy growing
Mobile consumers are more willing to share their personal information now than in the past. But that doesn't mean they want to be tracked while on the mobile web or using mobile apps. That, according to new data out from TRUSTe, which shows 69% 'don't like the idea' of mobile tracking and 43% won't share personal information even in exchange for free or lower-cost apps.
According to the research smartphone users are 'more concerned' with their privacy than with the size or brand of the phone they use. Some interesting findings from the 2013 US Consumer Data Privacy Study: Mobile Edition include:
• 78% of smartphone users 'will not download' untrusted apps
• 22% of smartphone users say privacy is their 'primary concern'; battery life was identified by 46% as the 'primary concern'
• 63% are 'always/frequently' concerned about privacy while engaged with banking apps/sites
"With mobile privacy concerns running hotter than ever, the business implications simply can't be ignored," said Chris Babel, CEO for TRUSTe. "If a user won't download an app or share location data, mobile commerce - and technology innovation - takes a hit. To secure their future growth, companies must address mobile privacy concerns now - giving users what they're asking for with more transparency and control over their privacy choices."
Researchers also found that about one-third of mobile users don't know how mobile brands, websites 'track' their online movements. Meanwhile most (69%) say they 'don't like the idea' of mobile tracking. Comparatively, 20% of online users say they 'don't know' about online tracking methods.
Image via Shutterstock
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...