News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Researchers concerned alcohol brand Tweets reaching underage audience
Twitter is an efficient platform on which to promote products. However, researchers from an Australian University believe the social marketing of one product in particular should be far better regulated - alcohol.
During a six month period, Budweiser Tweeted 286 times to its 15,000 or so Followers. As is the norm on the social platform, those Tweets went on to be Retweeted - 13,523 times.
However, how many of those to whom the Budweiser Tweet was Retweeted were of legal drinking age? This is a concern of researchers at the University of Western Sydney, Australia, who believe there is a high risk of the Retweets from alcohol brands being seen by those under the age of 18.
"Twitter is a relatively new platform for companies, and what we found is that it seems to be quite an efficient way to promote their wares," says Dr Ann Dadich, business school lecturer at the University of Western Australia, who thinks tougher regulations should be implemented by Twitter.
"In addition to their direct audience, they're obviously getting that secondary audience as well."
Furthermore, alcohol brands often use hashtags associated with social events that may be being attended by those who are not of legal age to drink - events such as concerts and festivals. The researchers compare alcohol brands' use of hashtags to tobacco advertising saying it is "reminiscent of tobacco companies' past practices of associating their brands with positive themes".
The researchers' concerns appeared in the August 2013 issue of the Medical Journal of Australia. The study to which the letter refers looks at Twitter use by seven of the most powerful global alcohol brands including Corona, Heineken, Jack Daniels and Smirnoff.
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....