News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals why some Americans remain Internet-free
The Internet plays a central role in the day to day lives of many people in America but, according to new research from the Pew Research Center, there are still those in the U.S. who never have, and never will, go online.
Internet use varies across demographics including income, age and even level of education. Age reveals the strongest pattern of Internet use and shows 44% of Americans over the age of 65 do not use the Internet.
In fact, of the 15% of Americans that Pew discovered use neither the Internet nor email, half (49%) are within that 65+ age bracket. A third (34%) of those non-Internet folk say that it's just not relevant to their lives and another 32% find it too complicated to use or believe it is too risky to use citing threats from spyware and hackers. And then there are those who just can't afford to purchase a computer or pay to connect to the Internet (19%).
However, even among those who don't or won't use the Internet, it seems they can't fully escape it. Almost half (44%) have asked someone to look something up on the Internet and 23% live in households where other members log on. Another 14% said they used to use the Internet but, for one reason or another, have since stopped doing so.
When non-Internet users were asked whether they are considering getting connected in the future, the vast majority (92%) expressed no interest in doing so. And, found Pew, even if they did decide to join the majority of their fellow citizens online, only 17% would be able to do so without some sort of assistance.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 design tips for mobile email
- Cyber Monday: Hottest ever revenue day
- Long? Short? Which headline length generates the most click-throughs?
- comScore: U.S. smartphone ownership reaches all-time high
- UK retail websites struggled to cope with Cyber Monday traffic peaks
- Twitter ups ad relevancy with Tailored Audiences
- Research reveals poor uptake and awareness of NFC payments
- Facebook far and away most frequently used mobile app
Featured White Papers
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...