News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals where location-based services are at
New research has found that more adult social media users now include their location in posts, but that there has been a downturn in the use of check-in location services.
A new report from The Pew Internet & American Life Project shows that almost a third (30%) of adult social media users now have at least one account that is set up to show their location in their posts. That's up from 14% who did so in 2011.
Social media users age 50 and under living in suburban areas were found to be the most likely to tag their location in a post but, apart from that very broad group, there was little difference in the practice among gender, household income or even education level.
Meanwhile, the number of social media users checking-in to locations has seen a drop. Pew reports that 12% currently use check-ins, down from 18% who did so during 2012. Specifically, the report notes that "among these geo-social service users, 39% say they check into places on Facebook, 18% say they use Foursquare, and 14% say they use Google Plus, among other services".
"Taken together, these trends show the ascent of location awareness and the role it might play in the life of users--and the technology companies that are scrambling to provide more alert-style applications that tell people who and what is near them," says Pew's 'Location-Based Services' report.
Yet, despite this trend, over a third (35%) of smartphone users have turned off the location-tracking feature on their mobile devices, rising to almost half (46%) among teens, due to concerns about access to their location information by third parties.
Image via Shutterstock
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...