News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Women, Boomers leading the freelance charge
The Internet isn't only letting families and friends stay better connected. It is now pushing deeper employer/employee relationships - in the form of freelance/independent work. According to new data out from MBO Partners, the number of people freelancing or working independently is up 5% over the past year, with women and Boomers leading the freelance way.
Some interesting findings from the report include:
• Women are most likely swayed to independent/freelance work for flex time options
• Men are most likely swayed because they want to 'control' the work environment
• 84% of Boomers are 'satisfied' with independent/freelance work, 79% plan to 'remain independent'
• There are 17.1 million Americans currently working freelance/independently
• 'Independent' income is now $1.2 trillion per year
"Our 2013 State of Independence report offers the most exciting data yet," said Gene Zaino, CEO of MBO Partners. "This year's report shows the tremendous economic impact of independent workers, and validates that independence is more than a viable career path; it's a job creation engine. It's not long until we see the reality that I predicted some years ago - a workforce split 50/50 between fixed and contingent workers. In such a world, workers and companies alike need advice and support, and MBO is committed to being their guide."
"Probably the biggest a-ha moment in this year's report is the self-identification of the majority of independents as self-employed," said Aassia Haq, Chief Marketing Officer for MBO Partners. "This and other brand-new segment insights can help spur fresh programs and policy to support and empower the solopreneur. In 2011, MBO told the world 'the independents are coming.' It's 2013 - the independents are here - and here to stay."
About 40% of the American workforce report they have worked freelance at some point in their careers; over the next 10 years the report suggests that will grow to a 50/50 split. A full copy of the report can be downloaded here.
Image via Shutterstock
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
- How to build loyalty through games
- Weekend Shopping Roundup: Mobile hot, social is not
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...