News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Kids in school means splurges all around
Back to school shopping isn't just about new notebooks, pencils and crayons anymore. Not according to new data out from Cardlytics. Their analysis of the 2013 back to school shopping season highlights some interesting trends - include reading habits of school-kids-moms, dating and travel.
"Drawing on extensive data from our banking partners, we are able to determine what American shoppers purchase during peak shopping seasons such as the back-to-school rush. This applies to other seasonal periods as well, such as Valentine's Day, Spring Break and the Christmas holidays," said Scott Grimes, CEO of Cardlytics. "This is a great advantage for our advertisers as we can anticipate the kinds of deals likely to appeal to certain consumers at various times throughout the year."
Researchers found that:
• Families with college-aged kids splurged on moving trucks and furniture
• Single parent households signed - or re-signed - with dating services
• Magazine purchases increased
Researchers also found increase spending at opticians and optometrists as kids readied for school and that many families splurged on one last memory making moment.
Final tallies aren't available for the actual back to school spend yet, but the National Retail Federation predicted that BTS spending would push past $26 billion this year while parents worked hard to make their money go farther. According to the research nearly 10% of parents planned to spend less on school items. About one-third (37%) said they would comparison shop to save money.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...