News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Phablets hit consumer sweet spot in Asia-Pacific region
Bigger than a smartphone, smaller than a tablet, 'phablets' appear to have hit the consumer sweet spot in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to the perfect size for a mobile device.
Over 25 million phablets were shipped in the Asia Pacific region (excluding Japan) (APEJ) in Q2 of 2013 - more than double the number of tablets (12.6 million) and even double that of smartphones (12.7 million).
The figures come from IDC Research who conclude the demand for a mobile device with calling capability coupled with better browsing and multimedia is what is driving the adoption of phablets in emerging markets.
"Phablets first started as a trend driven by mature markets like South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore - and these markets continue to rise," says Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC Asia/Pacific's Client Devices team.
"What's changed now is the added pick up of phablets in emerging markets like China and India, not just the plethora of big-name vendors competing head-to-head with Samsung, but instead the low-cost local players who have swooped in to offer big screens for less money - averaging a retail price of $220 versus Samsung's $557."
According to research by Gurgaon-based CyberMedia Research, referred to by Forbes, phablets now account for almost one-third (30%) of all smartphones shipped in India.
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Digital Roundup: Free and freemium models launched
- Banking industry figures show silver surfers avid users of Internet, mobile banking
- Top 3 holiday trends than will impact 2015
- Valentine's Surveys: What couples are looking
Featured White Papers
- Build Your Business Case For Social Selling
Are you ready to build your business case for social selling? Do you need some help? Download this PowerPoint deck...
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...