News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Phablets hit consumer sweet spot in Asia-Pacific region
Bigger than a smartphone, smaller than a tablet, 'phablets' appear to have hit the consumer sweet spot in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to the perfect size for a mobile device.
Over 25 million phablets were shipped in the Asia Pacific region (excluding Japan) (APEJ) in Q2 of 2013 - more than double the number of tablets (12.6 million) and even double that of smartphones (12.7 million).
The figures come from IDC Research who conclude the demand for a mobile device with calling capability coupled with better browsing and multimedia is what is driving the adoption of phablets in emerging markets.
"Phablets first started as a trend driven by mature markets like South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore - and these markets continue to rise," says Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC Asia/Pacific's Client Devices team.
"What's changed now is the added pick up of phablets in emerging markets like China and India, not just the plethora of big-name vendors competing head-to-head with Samsung, but instead the low-cost local players who have swooped in to offer big screens for less money - averaging a retail price of $220 versus Samsung's $557."
According to research by Gurgaon-based CyberMedia Research, referred to by Forbes, phablets now account for almost one-third (30%) of all smartphones shipped in India.
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...