News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Phablets hit consumer sweet spot in Asia-Pacific region
Bigger than a smartphone, smaller than a tablet, 'phablets' appear to have hit the consumer sweet spot in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to the perfect size for a mobile device.
Over 25 million phablets were shipped in the Asia Pacific region (excluding Japan) (APEJ) in Q2 of 2013 - more than double the number of tablets (12.6 million) and even double that of smartphones (12.7 million).
The figures come from IDC Research who conclude the demand for a mobile device with calling capability coupled with better browsing and multimedia is what is driving the adoption of phablets in emerging markets.
"Phablets first started as a trend driven by mature markets like South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore - and these markets continue to rise," says Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC Asia/Pacific's Client Devices team.
"What's changed now is the added pick up of phablets in emerging markets like China and India, not just the plethora of big-name vendors competing head-to-head with Samsung, but instead the low-cost local players who have swooped in to offer big screens for less money - averaging a retail price of $220 versus Samsung's $557."
According to research by Gurgaon-based CyberMedia Research, referred to by Forbes, phablets now account for almost one-third (30%) of all smartphones shipped in India.
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...