News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Phablets hit consumer sweet spot in Asia-Pacific region
Bigger than a smartphone, smaller than a tablet, 'phablets' appear to have hit the consumer sweet spot in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to the perfect size for a mobile device.
Over 25 million phablets were shipped in the Asia Pacific region (excluding Japan) (APEJ) in Q2 of 2013 - more than double the number of tablets (12.6 million) and even double that of smartphones (12.7 million).
The figures come from IDC Research who conclude the demand for a mobile device with calling capability coupled with better browsing and multimedia is what is driving the adoption of phablets in emerging markets.
"Phablets first started as a trend driven by mature markets like South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore - and these markets continue to rise," says Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC Asia/Pacific's Client Devices team.
"What's changed now is the added pick up of phablets in emerging markets like China and India, not just the plethora of big-name vendors competing head-to-head with Samsung, but instead the low-cost local players who have swooped in to offer big screens for less money - averaging a retail price of $220 versus Samsung's $557."
According to research by Gurgaon-based CyberMedia Research, referred to by Forbes, phablets now account for almost one-third (30%) of all smartphones shipped in India.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....