News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Phablets hit consumer sweet spot in Asia-Pacific region
Bigger than a smartphone, smaller than a tablet, 'phablets' appear to have hit the consumer sweet spot in the Asia-Pacific region when it comes to the perfect size for a mobile device.
Over 25 million phablets were shipped in the Asia Pacific region (excluding Japan) (APEJ) in Q2 of 2013 - more than double the number of tablets (12.6 million) and even double that of smartphones (12.7 million).
The figures come from IDC Research who conclude the demand for a mobile device with calling capability coupled with better browsing and multimedia is what is driving the adoption of phablets in emerging markets.
"Phablets first started as a trend driven by mature markets like South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore - and these markets continue to rise," says Melissa Chau, Senior Research Manager with IDC Asia/Pacific's Client Devices team.
"What's changed now is the added pick up of phablets in emerging markets like China and India, not just the plethora of big-name vendors competing head-to-head with Samsung, but instead the low-cost local players who have swooped in to offer big screens for less money - averaging a retail price of $220 versus Samsung's $557."
According to research by Gurgaon-based CyberMedia Research, referred to by Forbes, phablets now account for almost one-third (30%) of all smartphones shipped in India.
- The effect of clutter on ad gaze time and viewability
- Women in UK leading the way in mobile shopping
- Today's consumers want more from loyalty programs
- Expert: MCommerce nearing tipping point
- Merchants: How to make wishlists work for you
- Top 3 tips to better source loyalty data
- 57% of consumers do not trust a business with their data
- 39% turn blind eye to branded social media posts
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...