News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Local searchers knocking on closed doors
There is a disturbing trend in the search space: search engine results leading shoppers astray. According to new data from Infogroup more than half of shoppers using search engines, online directories and GPS/Navigation systems are being led to stores that have been closed.
Researchers with InfoGroup surveyed nearly 1,000 US adults, finding that 44% have been led to businesses that have moved locations, 55% have been led to businesses which have changed their hours and 52% have been led to 'local' stores that have closed down their business. Researchers also found that 60% of shoppers turn to search engines or directories first when looking for a local business so those 'dead' listings are leading them down a frustrating road.
Other interesting findings include:
• 48% of Navigation system users are given outdated directions at least once/month
• 69% blame the service or app when given bad information
• 26% blame the business
"As mobile devices are transforming how consumers search for local businesses, timely business information will become even more important," said Jeff Khadavi, president, Data Licensing, Infogroup. "We invested in our real-time Data Axle™ platform because critical information about businesses changes every day and needs to be constantly updated."
Meanwhile, data out from Experian Marketing Services suggests nearly half of marketers will launch 2013 Holiday Campaigns before Halloween. Quite a bit of those budgets will be geared toward search; the Infogroup data should serve as a reminded to businesses to triple-check those online listings sites and update addresses, phone numbers and websites as needed.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....