News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Local searchers knocking on closed doors
There is a disturbing trend in the search space: search engine results leading shoppers astray. According to new data from Infogroup more than half of shoppers using search engines, online directories and GPS/Navigation systems are being led to stores that have been closed.
Researchers with InfoGroup surveyed nearly 1,000 US adults, finding that 44% have been led to businesses that have moved locations, 55% have been led to businesses which have changed their hours and 52% have been led to 'local' stores that have closed down their business. Researchers also found that 60% of shoppers turn to search engines or directories first when looking for a local business so those 'dead' listings are leading them down a frustrating road.
Other interesting findings include:
• 48% of Navigation system users are given outdated directions at least once/month
• 69% blame the service or app when given bad information
• 26% blame the business
"As mobile devices are transforming how consumers search for local businesses, timely business information will become even more important," said Jeff Khadavi, president, Data Licensing, Infogroup. "We invested in our real-time Data Axle™ platform because critical information about businesses changes every day and needs to be constantly updated."
Meanwhile, data out from Experian Marketing Services suggests nearly half of marketers will launch 2013 Holiday Campaigns before Halloween. Quite a bit of those budgets will be geared toward search; the Infogroup data should serve as a reminded to businesses to triple-check those online listings sites and update addresses, phone numbers and websites as needed.
Image via Shutterstock
- Big brands' ads found playing before ISIS YouTube videos
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...