News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Local searchers knocking on closed doors
There is a disturbing trend in the search space: search engine results leading shoppers astray. According to new data from Infogroup more than half of shoppers using search engines, online directories and GPS/Navigation systems are being led to stores that have been closed.
Researchers with InfoGroup surveyed nearly 1,000 US adults, finding that 44% have been led to businesses that have moved locations, 55% have been led to businesses which have changed their hours and 52% have been led to 'local' stores that have closed down their business. Researchers also found that 60% of shoppers turn to search engines or directories first when looking for a local business so those 'dead' listings are leading them down a frustrating road.
Other interesting findings include:
• 48% of Navigation system users are given outdated directions at least once/month
• 69% blame the service or app when given bad information
• 26% blame the business
"As mobile devices are transforming how consumers search for local businesses, timely business information will become even more important," said Jeff Khadavi, president, Data Licensing, Infogroup. "We invested in our real-time Data Axle™ platform because critical information about businesses changes every day and needs to be constantly updated."
Meanwhile, data out from Experian Marketing Services suggests nearly half of marketers will launch 2013 Holiday Campaigns before Halloween. Quite a bit of those budgets will be geared toward search; the Infogroup data should serve as a reminded to businesses to triple-check those online listings sites and update addresses, phone numbers and websites as needed.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...