News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Kids gaming on mobile almost as much as on consoles
A new report delving into the gaming habits of kids reveals there are almost as many playing games on mobile as there are on consoles.
The recent "Kids and Gaming 2013" report from industry analysis firm The NPD Group reveals 53% of mobile-owning kids are spending a lot more time gaming on their device than in 2011.
In 2011, teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 spent five hours per week gaming on smartphones or tablets. That figure has now risen to 7 hours per week.
While consoles and PCs remain the top devices for gaming, The NPD Group notes that the momentum is currently in favor of mobile devices, making the future of mobile gaming an interesting trend to watch. Today, 'almost' as many kids are playing games on mobile devices as are using consoles and PCs.
"The question becomes whether this mobile usage will continue to grow for 2 to 17 year olds, and if usage will become more prevalent than gaming on consoles and computers as time progresses," says NPD analyst Liam Callahan. "More importantly, we need to understand how these forms of gaming provide different types of experiences for young gamers."
Could mobile gaming slowly strangle the hold that consoles currently have?
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...