News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Is Yelp's effect on bottom line worth the legal wrangling?
Recent research from Merchant Warehouse reveals that 93% of consumers who use Yelp typically go on to make purchases with the companies they research via the online review website. Perhaps dodging the legal bullets and dodgy reviews is a small price to pay.
For small businesses, having a presence on review site Yelp can be a daunting experience, particularly in light of news stories regarding fake reviews and even defamation claims.
Merchant Warehouse's recent research found that, despite 93% of consumers who use Yelp going on to make a purchase with a company they researched on the review site, a whopping 87% of small businesses don't actively use such sites. Furthermore, 22% of those small businesses that do have a presence on Yelp have never bothered to check out their pages.
Those businesses could be seriously undermining their bottom line. The results of a Boston Consulting Group survey of 4,800 business owners earlier this year (March 2013), illustrated in Merchant Warehouse's infographic, found that small businesses with a free Yelp business owner's account saw an average increase in annual revenue of $8,000.
Merchant Warehouse concludes by saying that "review sites like Yelp pose big growth opportunities for small businesses that use them strategically" adding that, with the great demand for consumers for online review sites, having a presence on such sites allows consumer interaction and increases brand awareness.
What do you think? Is a presence on Yelp worth the potential for legal wrangling?
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...