News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Few UK marketers confident handling 'big data'
How confident are UK marketers with handling 'big data'? Not very, according to a new survey by GfK for the Guardian Media Network, and those using big data still have work to do to convince consumers of its benefits.
In a survey of 157 UK marketers and 1,011 UK consumers, most marketers were well aware that big data is changing the way marketing is done, and almost two-thirds (62%) said their marketing role has already evolved as a result.
However, despite the realization of the power of big data to develop personalized, targeted campaigns, just 30% feel they currently possess the skills necessary to best utilize the plethora of data available to them to best effect.
According to The Drum, where the results were first reported, one respondent to the survey observed, "How many marketers currently even know what an algorithm is - let alone how it can determine product development, placement, price etc?"
On the flip side, among the consumers surveyed there is vagueness surrounding the use of big data. While many are aware that data they provided was used to target them, just 47% were aware of what data was being collected. The majority (81%) believe data they provide is being shared or sold on to third parties.
While marketers need to better understand how to use big data, they also need to realize that appearing to really know and understand a customer can be off-putting. While a third (34%) of consumers in the survey said they were "happy" for companies to recommend products to them based on information they collected, over three-quarters (77%) found companies being over-familiar "annoying".
According to Colin Strong, GfK's managing director for Business & Technology, "the marketing industry has to become more sophisticated in its use of the information it collects to convince consumers that relevant, accurately targeted offers do actually make their lives easier".
Image via Shutterstock
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...