News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumer trust in online advertising is second only to word-of-mouth
While word-of-mouth recommendations remain the most trusted and influential way for consumers to learn about brands, a new report from Nielsen finds that consumer trust in online advertising on branded websites is on the rise, too.
It's great news for advertisers. Nielsen's "Trust in Advertising 2013" report reveals that trust in advertising on branded websites is up 9% from 2007 to 69% and is now the second most-trusted format online.
With 84% of global respondents to Nielsen's survey rating word-of-mouth recommendations, from family and friends, as trustworthy, the channel retains its top position and, let's face it, it's a hard one to topple.
In third place, albeit almost on a par with online ads on branded websites, are consumer reviews with 68% trust, up 7% from 2007.
Across the board, text, search and banner ads all show a significant rise in trustworthiness compared with five years ago. However, ads in newspapers are the only form of advertising that showed a decrease in trust - down from 63% to 61%.
"While TV remains the front-running format for the delivery of marketing messages based on ad spend, consumers globally are also looking to online media to get information about brands," said Randall Beard, global head, Advertiser Solutions at Nielsen. "On the flipside, earned advertising channels have empowered consumers to advocate for their favorite brands, something that shouldn't go unnoticed by brand advertisers."
Image via Shutterstock
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
- We2 to connect NYC's retailers and consumers via 'social WiFi'
- Consumers rate email as most relevant and accurate of all channels
- Research: Silver surfers feel undervalued by retailers
- Global PC sales fall for sixth consecutive quarter
- Releases evaluate content, make file sharing simpler
- Responsys: Mobile pushing conversions
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...