News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bots costing advertisers $9.5 billion
New data released by Solve Media reveals the bot problem is worsening with a whopping 46% of web advertising exhibiting suspicious activity during the second quarter of this year, up from 43% in the first quarter.
The company's latest Bot Traffic Market Advisory doesn't make good reading for online and mobile advertisers. The estimates show that advertisers are blowing $9.5 billion on ad impressions generated by non-humans, or bots, or 46%.
Similarly, suspicious mobile ad activity has risen from 22% in the first quarter of 2013 to 35% in the second.
Geographically speaking, the highest levels of suspicious web activity were found in China, Venezuela and Ukraine while Singapore, Macau and Qatar had the highest levels of suspicious activity for mobile.
Comparing the U.S. and U.K. reveals the latter displaying more suspicious activity, as can be seen from the chart below.
"The waste and inefficiencies associated with showing ads to bots are frightening from a return on investment perspective," says Ari Jacoby, CEO of Solve Media. "We're watching the video marketplace carefully and actively advising agencies on the topic of bot-safe media inventory. We encourage publishers to proactively add our free anti-bot security to their sites in order to guarantee human audiences."
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...