News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
82% of college students concerned online privacy compromised
When online privacy and security firm AnchorFree surveyed U.S. and U.K. students they found that, while many are very concerned about Internet privacy, few did anything to protect themselves.
College students are among the worlds most digitally and mobile connected, yet a whopping 82% are concerned that their online privacy could be compromised.
According to AnchorFree, this attitude among Millennials runs "counter to common wisdom that Millennials weaned on social media and sharing every aspect of their lives are unconcerned with online privacy".
Among the more than 1,200 students surveyed from 523 U.S. and U.K. colleges, 47% are concerned with keeping their data private only from strangers and just 8% from friends, while just over a quarter (27%) are concerned with keeping their data private from both strangers and friends.
According to David Gorodyansky, CEO of AnchorFree, college students have good reason for concern because they are "more frequently targets of online hackers and identity thieves because of their limited credit and employment histories."
For that reason alone it is critical that college students protect their personal data online, yet many do not. While many of the students surveyed were aware of online threats to their privacy, few seemed willing to take action to prevent such data being compromised.
Nearly two-thirds (62%) admitted to using unsecured Wi-Fi networks at least once a month, yet only 25% protect themselves by implementing virtual private network software. Other findings include:
- Just 41% of students said they use a password locker to protect their passwords and other sensitive data;
- While 85% of students use anti-virus software to protect their computers, but only 35% protect their mobile devices with anti-virus software;
- 14% of college students said they had been victims of identity theft in the past.
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....